Removing bathroom

Ask your bathroom related questions here
MarkM

Removing bathroom

Post by MarkM » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 pm

I have a small bathroom that I am wanting to get rid of. I am wanting to know how to go about permanently sealing off the toilet hole to the sewer line. I see a lot of YouTube videos telling me how to plug it temporarily for replacing the toilet. But nothing for how to block it off to remove the toilet plumbing altogether.

Any advice you guys can give would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Aaron

Re: Removing bathroom

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:55 pm

The toilet flange mates with a fitting called a closet bend. As far as I know there's no permanent cap for that. Do you have access to the plumbing from below? You should cut out this closet bend piece, and then cap the 3" pipe it connects to. (Hopefully you are dealing with ABS or PVC.)

Then you should cut out a square of subfloor where the flange was between the two floor joists, install some perpendicular 2x4 blocking perpendicular to those joists, and patch the floor with a new piece of plywood cut to size for that hole.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Yep, that sounds about right. Every situation has its own peculiarities to work around, let us know how it goes. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

marks1

Post by marks1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 am

Great advise. i was also seeking for the information which you have explained. Thanks.