Rough In for Wall Supply Elbow

Ask your bathroom related questions here
MindBender

Rough In for Wall Supply Elbow

Post by MindBender » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm installing a flush 90 degree elbow to supply an adjustable sliding shower. The instructions require the pipe or 3/4 thread to stick out about 3/4" from finish wall.

My first thought was to just create a copper 90 degree stub and cut it to required depth. However, I thought this approach was very specific to this model and maybe there is a better rough in approach to using these type of elbows.

What is best practice for rough in for these elbows?

A. Spruce

Re: Rough In for Wall Supply Elbow

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:55 pm

This should be a standard thread, so it shouldn't matter if you use something like a drop ear 90 inside the wall with a nipple sticking out or make up the entire thing out of copper. I think the drop ear 90 will probably give you a little more flexibility into the future, but only marginally so.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 am

Yup the drop ear 90 w/ a copper nipple is what I would use. Especially if you are tiling as you will need some adjustability with the nipple length to adjust to the tile/mortar thickness .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 am

So with the nipple, do you put that in before or after tiling/drywall? Just wondering how you tighten it up after tiling, as it only protrudes a fraction of an inch.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 am

It would go in after tiling so that you don't gunk up the threads. You can also install an extra long nipple finger tight during tile installation so that you don't encroach on the hole with the tile. Once the tile is finished, remove the extra long nipple.

Wrap the new nipple well with thread tape, use a bit of extra tape on both ends, as this will give you some wiggle room on the tightening. Start the nipple in the wall first, then start on the flush elbow and tighten the whole thing by hand, finishing with a wrench for the last half to one turn. Be careful not to tighten past the position you want the flush elbow to live in, if you do, you will have to go another entire turn, because you can't loosen pipe fittings to bring them into alignment, as this causes leaks. The difficulty here is that you probably won't have the capacity to make another full turn, simply because of the close tolerances of the parts you're using. If you have to loosen the elbow to bring it into alignment, you will need to completely remove the elbow and nipple and apply new thread tape, again, giving a few extra wraps of tape.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you for the explanation - are these drop ear and nipple threads tapered or straight, so I can play with depth a bit? Always thought plumbing threads were tapered but maybe these are not...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 am

Yes, the drop ear has a tapered thread.