Bathtub surround over tile?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
kchamp

Bathtub surround over tile?

Post by kchamp » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:18 am

Hello,

New to the forum but first want to say thank you for doing this! It is so nice to have someone to bounce ideas off especially being a new homeowner.

I recently found out that my tile in my bathtub/shower is leaking water behind the wall - found out the hard way with water in the basement :evil: . Do you think that I should tear down all the tile and put up new drywall and then add a new tub surround? Or can I just put the tub surround over the existing tile? (no longer wish to have tile in the shower area.)

The reason why I don't necessarily want to tear down the tile is because the entire bathroom has tile all the way around on all walls halfway up so I risk having to redo everything. Any advice?

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Bathtub surround over tile?

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

You should really tear out the shower area as it may have been leaking over time and mold could have developed in the wall under the tile. Just be careful and you should be able to remove only what you want or just a row or two more then reuse any unbroken tiles to fix it back up.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon