Tile install In Bathroom

Ask your bathroom related questions here
jwpinc

Tile install In Bathroom

Post by jwpinc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:48 am

I am installing a new tub in the bathroom, the house was built in 1958 In California. I am gonna put up tile from tub up and in this house the walls are hard. It is very hard to get nails or screws in the wall like concrete so when I open the wall where the plumbing was I was curious to find out why. I noticed there was 2 sheets of drywall each maybe 1/2" thick, 1 on top of the other. I am not sure if the one behind the first one is as hard but I noticed looking at the inside wall that the drywall had holes in it about the size of quarters and this hard stuff had oozed out and hardened. It was like they put some plaster or whatever that hard drywall is then troweled it on after they put up the drywall. What I was wondering was if I left the other 2 walls up and just put a good moisture barrier over that would that be fine instead of having to put up cement backer board which feels almost like it. Thanks, Joe

Shannon

Re: Tile install In Bathroom

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:41 am

I would remove it all. The problem with drywall is if you get any moisture back there mould will grow. Better off to remove the potential problem now before you spend good money on installing tiles over it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jwpinc

Post by jwpinc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:23 am

I started to do as you advised and I sent a link to photos of what I found behind and not sure what its is. I looks like the same stuff on the ceiling in the bathroom and the front porch ceiling but not sure. As you will see I started knocking out the concrete type wall little by little cause its hard stuff and was going to the right to get to a 2x4 but after 17, 18 inches nothing as you will see. I just stopped. The stuff is soft like it was like the stuff on the ceiling (shown in pictures) but like at one time it got wet and got soft I am not sure though. Should I just rip it out if so do you know what it is and have any idea if there is gonna be any 2x4s in there somewhere? Oh and I noticed this is on the walls to the outside not the inside walls so I thought it was some kind of insulation but it was to hard for that I thought...House was built in 1958 so I don't know...
And number 2 question I had went to knock out concrete for the drain. I cut all the blue water proofing stuff off which looked like who ever did it did a great job but it looked like they used like asphalt to cover it and under that was like mortar, which was easy to break up then dirt. after a foot down in the soft sand I started noticing paper. Like an old invoice but shredded. I thought maybe when they filled the hole they dropped paper in there then I started to noticed more invoice type paper but different color (bear with me) shredded also, reminded me of my dads invoices he was a plumber and it was his house. then foot and a half down I found a Hershey's Reese's Candy wrapper with exp date 2012 (the tile shower that was there was since I was little and never worked on since... I'm 46 years old. The only thing I could come up with is that a pipe was leaking under there. I am so confused. Sand was not wet but I have not had water on for over a year there since my dad died. The sink is on the other side of wall and someone (my little sister) would have had to throw it in the sink, toilet if pipe was leaking. Like I said I am really confused. From what I can see from drain pipe right now is I don't see or feel a hole that this thing could of come from. Maybe the sink side because like I said sink it just right behind where tub will go. Do you have an idea?
Thanks for your time again......here are the pictures.
http://s862.photobucket.com/user/jwpinc/slideshow/

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 am

Well that one product on the walls and ceilings looks like a product that is used around here in gymnasiums and halls for sound deadening ,and to stop echoing . It is made of compressed straw fibres and some glue. Don't know that it has much insulation value but it may. I would think there has to be studs back behind that somewhere holding the house up. Around here that product is about 1" thick usually.

As for the plumbing , that is really strange. I think at some time in the last 5 years maybe your dad had redone the shower drain plumbing? Do you think so? The candy wrapper with the date clinches it for me. I think most candy bars have a shelf life of a few years but I could be wrong. The hole in the pipe would have to be big for that wrapper to get through.

Anyways you have a mystery on your hands. lol
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jwpinc

Post by jwpinc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Yea it is 1 inch thick I can see it how thick because on the front porch the eves are rotten away and have a hole through it and I seen how thick it was. As for plumbing my great grandma had it built then went to my grandma then my dad and me. My grandma died 18 years ago and I seen her every weekend she never had anything done to it and my dad also but he would of called me to help fix it anyways he would of never paid anyone lol not for a job he could do. Yea candy bars do have a couple years shelf life so your right I do have a mystery on my hands. Well thanks It's just I live 2 hours away from the house and have already spent $1300 for this bath to be done and i am only at this point. (paid someone to do it and he pulled the tile off and then split not to finish job)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Oooh that sucks that the guy split on you! Hope you have better luck doing the rest.

jwpinc

Post by jwpinc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:13 am

One last thing that stuff doesn't have asbestos in it does it that stuff on the wall wall? "compressed straw fibres and some glue"

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:37 am

No I'm positive it does not. Not sure about the layers put over top of it though.May want to have some tested.

jwpinc

Post by jwpinc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 am

Sorry again.. I really need your help with this. I tore everything of the wall and as you will see in my pictures there is no 2x4s. The stuff is thick I used the end of a hammer in one of the pictures and dug down at least 4" into that stuff. I also sent a picture of the stove pipe hole on the same side of the house about 15 feet away and you can see the cut out it is that straw stuff then it ends at the stucco. The concrete type stuff or whatever on top of the straw was not glued to it but it was like they floated over it because it was stuck to straw as you can see in some areas and I noticed that electrical pipe at bottom the concrete type stuff was rounded where the pipe was like it was wet and then dried and molded the pipe. Noticed it when knocking out concrete stuff. I am confused what to do now and worried. I even noticed 2 bolts with washers on the left hand side you can see them in one picture and close of in another. I remember my dad saying that house was a re manufactured or something like that but my dad said a lot of things that where not true. That straw is kinda tough but it's solid. I wish my walls at home was as solid as that house. Do you have any idea what to do I fell like I really screwed up taking it off but think there has to be something I can do. I have some ideas but not sure if they will work or if I am just screwed. Anything you can give me to help me out would be great I can not find anything on this stuff. Oh and the back wall was 1/4 inch thick and the right was 1/2 inch of that concrete stuff on outside left is 1/2 also don't know if that matters. Also the walls in the house except for the wall where the spout is and handles for shower which is the same wall as the kitchen sink (on other side of wall..I think because cabinets go there and they need 2x4s) but the other walls are only 4" thick not the normal size. The only normal size wall is like the one I told ya but I think outside walls might be the normal size didn't dig that far into the straw and forgot to measure pipe hole to see for sure. Thanks for your time.

http://s862.photobucket.com/user/jwpinc ... w/Bathroom

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 am

Wow are you sure that one of the three little pigs did not build this house? LOL Don't really know what to tell you, I have never seen this before. We have some people here who build homes out of straw bales ( very energy efficient) there is a wood post and beam structure then the bales are stacked and interlocked for the exterior walls. After that they plaster over that on the exterior and interior. Your home seems to maybe be similar except the straw panels are pre manufactured?
At this point I think you are best off to have some one plaster/parge over that straw, install your hardie backer/ cement board on the other walls, tile it up, and move on.
Looks like no sign of damage to the structure from moisture and everytime you remove something else there are more mysteries.
This is truly not a normal built home but it has been totally fine up to this point, so leave it be I guess.

jwpinc

Post by jwpinc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:07 pm

I was reading lime plaster would be ideal because it would make those 2 walls waterproof is that correct? I want all the walls flat. I am not using bull nose tile just those bull nose PVC strips.. I like the look.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Sorry I really am not familiar with plaster.