Installing backsplash

Ask your bathroom related questions here
MattL

Installing backsplash

Post by MattL » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Good day,
I'm renovating a 40 year old bathroom that had tile all along the lower part of the walls. I've removed the tile because the new vanity is several inches taller and not the same depth.

Do I need to remove the existing tile adhesive where I plan on placing the new backsplash or can I place the new backsplash over it?

If i need to remove that adhesive, what would be the easiest as not to damage the drywall beneath it?

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG (99.8 KiB) Viewed 230 times

A. Spruce

Re: Installing backsplash

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:43 pm

IMHO, you need to remove as much as possible, so that the surface is even, otherwise your new tile isn't going to sit flat and plane together properly. If the adhesive is well attached, you could float the wall smooth with drywall compound. The problem with floating the wall is that it results in a thicker tile, which is going to stand out further from the wall than where there is no tile, making it a little harder to blend that top edge nicely.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:59 pm

I agree with Spruce here. Something I find quicker is cutting out and removing the old drywall area that has adhesive and replacing with new. The old glue does not come off easy and usually you are left with a bit of a mess on the wall anyway.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

MattL

Post by MattL » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks guys. I sharpen up a paint scrapper and proceed to remove the old adhesive, which I think I did an okay job at, now I'll use some drywall compound to smoothen it out.

Shannon, I did remove the drywall from the remainder of the room, but it is double layered and I'm finding it hard to maintain a level seem where the old and new meet. Since this is along the vanity (a location everyone would be viewing) I was hoping something was going to work in my favour, but like most things you need to put in time and effort to resolve the issue.

I would like to say thanks for your YouTube channel the videos are great and your explanations are clear and concise. Keep up the great work. I'll be sure to use your Amazon links in the future.

Cheers

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 pm

To get old and new drywall/wall surfaces to plane level, use firring strips on the studs to shim the new to the correct height.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 am

Your existing drywall may be 3/8” and the new will be 1/2” so that may be where youths difference is coming from. In the future you could either remove all the old and install new 1/2” drywall or purchase 3/8” drywall for patches. Around here my local lumber suppliers carry 3/8” drywall in 4x8 sheets only
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 am

[quote=MattL post_id=34540 time=1531440025 user_id=7942

I would like to say thanks for your YouTube channel the videos are great and your explanations are clear and concise. Keep up the great work. I'll be sure to use your Amazon links in the future.

Cheers
[/quote]

I’m glad our channel has helped you out. Using our Amazon links is appreciated!