Large Window as Shower Partition Wall

Ask your bathroom related questions here
DivaD

Large Window as Shower Partition Wall

Post by DivaD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 pm

ImageHi there! I am building a corner shower (Inside measurements are 36" x 40") in my 98 year old fir constructed home. I have everything stripped to the studs and joists. I also have a new Large window that is (frame opening size) 36" wide x 77.25" tall) that I would like to use as a wall on the 36" width side. The bathroom is average for this age of home but overall 6' x 7.5', so I intend to make use of as much borrowed light as possible... hence a window wall.

My question is how would you suggest doing the framing for stability? Would you recommend to build out the top of the window wall right up to the floor joists and tie it in that way? 9'1" to the underside of the second floor. Yes, there is a fir floor joist that runs parallel right above to where I want to build this "window wall". I can double stud the free end of the window wall but that's all the width I have to work with given the location.

I was sort of hoping that I would not have to build out above the window to allow for more moisture to be removed above the window wall by the exhaust fan I have already installed, vented and greenboarded in. Only place for it to go so it's not moving. However, I could build that window wall as a solid tied in wall to the bottom plate, exterior wall and floor joist above IF there is no other way to securely build this window wall.

Hopefully I've described this so that you all can reply with some suggestions. Thanks in advance! I look forward to your reply!
Attachments
B9F1CDDD-0147-4802-9048-03E6602C7486.jpeg
Bottom plate & exterior wall
B9F1CDDD-0147-4802-9048-03E6602C7486.jpeg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 289 times
1932E338-2057-4665-A19A-EE9810BBECF8.png
The window
1932E338-2057-4665-A19A-EE9810BBECF8.png (343.49 KiB) Viewed 289 times

A. Spruce

Re: Large Window as Shower Partition Wall

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 pm

DO NOT use that window as a partition wall!!!!! Any glass used in or near a shower needs to be safety glass, this is glass that pebblizes when it shatters. The pebbles are virtually harmless, as opposed to regular glass that window is made of that turns into razor blades when it shatters.

Again, DO NOT use any regular glass product in or near a shower!

A shower door manufacturer will be able to make you anything you need, or you could order something from a big box.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:29 am

I would agree this “sounds” like a good idea but really is dangerous. Chances are you may never have a problem but if you do it could be a big one!
A panel of safety glass sitting up on a shower base will also take much less space and keep that area from feeling so tight by the toilet.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

DivaD

Post by DivaD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 am

Appreciate the advise.... soooo, ignore all the pics in houzz and pinterest. Done!

Like the idea of safety glass but still looking for recommendations on framing stability.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am

If you use a shower enclosure, the frame of the enclosure is self supporting. I won't offer any advice on wood framing where a standard glass window is involved.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:01 pm

If you want to continue this route and you want it open at the ceiling then a framed corner post to the ceiling is the way to go here. You can the frame across the top of the window R.O. And finish as desired
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

DivaD

Post by DivaD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Shannon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:01 pm
If you want to continue this route and you want it open at the ceiling then a framed corner post to the ceiling is the way to go here. You can the frame across the top of the window R.O. And finish as desired
thanks Shannon....I have Wedi board and shower pan already purchased so will be using that with tile over. As my utmost goal is to keep the area as light as possible, are you suggesting that I tile that post to the ceiling or am I missing something here?

DivaD

Post by DivaD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am
If you use a shower enclosure, the frame of the enclosure is self supporting. I won't offer any advice on wood framing where a standard glass window is involved.
not looking at encuring more expenses and not asking for advise on standard windows. Thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:02 pm

DivaD wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm
Shannon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:01 pm
thanks Shannon....I have Wedi board and shower pan already purchased so will be using that with tile over. As my utmost goal is to keep the area as light as possible, are you suggesting that I tile that post to the ceiling or am I missing something here?
Yes I would tile this post as I will assume that at least some of it will be in the shower area ? What are you using for a door/ curtain?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:10 pm

The other nice thing with the safety glass panels (besides being way safer )for your specific project is that you need no framing above the RO that will need to be tiled or at least water proofed some how as well.