Drywall seams noticeable after primer

Ask your bathroom related questions here
lzeng

Drywall seams noticeable after primer

Post by lzeng » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 am

I drwall and mudded my bathroom. Once the coat of primer was on it, the mud over the seam I did is very noticeable. I guess I did not feature it out enough and it is slightly raised from the wall. How do I fix this? I tried a quick sanding but it's just pealing up the primer. Thanks.

Shannon

Re: Drywall seams noticeable after primer

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:21 am

So is there a high bump in the middle of the mud seam or edges of the mud showing because they are raised compared to the surface of the drywall?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:17 am

Two options:

1 - Let the primer cure, sand surface level, skim coat another thin layer of compound, lightly sand to blend skim coat into the rest of the wall.
2 - Don't sand before the other steps.

Option 1 is the best because you will be removing the offending lump in the wall. The purpose of the light skim coat is to feather in any rough edges of the primer and fill any remaining lows in the wall surface.

Option 2 will work just fine, but it's a lot harder to feather out lumps and bumps in a wall than it is to sand the wall flat, however, since you've already primed the wall, that initial sanding is going to be more difficult, so you can omit the initial sanding and go straight to skim coats/sanding until you get the surface as smooth as possible. Then you will prime the repaired area, let it dry, then prime the entire wall again, this will give you an even base for your top coat.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

lzeng

Post by lzeng » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:21 am
So is there a high bump in the middle of the mud seam or edges of the mud showing because they are raised compared to the surface of the drywall?
There is a higher bump in the middle of the mud seam. The edges of the mud shows but don't appear to be raised. They feel smooth and when I use a square they also show smooth. Maybe I just need another coat of primer to cover the mud line that shows.

lzeng

Post by lzeng » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:17 am
Two options:

1 - Let the primer cure, sand surface level, skim coat another thin layer of compound, lightly sand to blend skim coat into the rest of the wall.
2 - Don't sand before the other steps.

Option 1 is the best because you will be removing the offending lump in the wall. The purpose of the light skim coat is to feather in any rough edges of the primer and fill any remaining lows in the wall surface.

Option 2 will work just fine, but it's a lot harder to feather out lumps and bumps in a wall than it is to sand the wall flat, however, since you've already primed the wall, that initial sanding is going to be more difficult, so you can omit the initial sanding and go straight to skim coats/sanding until you get the surface as smooth as possible. Then you will prime the repaired area, let it dry, then prime the entire wall again, this will give you an even base for your top coat.
This bump is where the mirror hangs on the wall so I should probably sand it out. How long for Zinsser Bulls Eye to dry before I can sand?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Depends, blue, red, or black label? I believe the blue label is around 2-4 hours to dry enough for second coat, I would go 24 or more hours if trying to sand it, even then you're probably going to experience sort of a "shaved rubber: effect with how it sands, as well as it clogging your sandpaper.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

lzeng

Post by lzeng » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:30 pm
Depends, blue, red, or black label? I believe the blue label is around 2-4 hours to dry enough for second coat, I would go 24 or more hours if trying to sand it, even then you're probably going to experience sort of a "shaved rubber: effect with how it sands, as well as it clogging your sandpaper.
Blue. I tried sanding after 12 hours and it pealed. Thanks for the help, I'll give it a whirl