Sealing shower surround to tub

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Tacitus043

Sealing shower surround to tub

Post by Tacitus043 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:10 am

Hi guys,

I am currently re-doing the tile surround enclosing my bathtub. For the substrate I used 1/2" hardibacker board which I placed directly above the tub flange. I thought I would ask what specific methods you guys would recommend to seal the surround to the tub. I've seen guys use a tape type membrane embedded in thinset between the tub and surround. I've also seen the same tape type membrane embedded in a liquid membrane like Ardex or Redguard in the same area. What do you guys think? I do plan on using a liquid membrane over the entire substrate after I thinset all the joints. Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Sealing shower surround to tub

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:56 am

I usually leave that gap and when the tiles are being set I use a extra amount of thinnest on the bottom 1/2" of the first row of tiles. You can apply some thinnest in the gap as you go as well. Its to fill the void just to keep the tile from maybe breaking down the road .That first row is left 1/8" or so above the tub deck and then that gets siliconed after grouting.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Neil007

Re: Sealing shower surround to tub

Post by Neil007 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:58 am

I agree with Shannon, that would be my way too. Also don't forget to fill the tub with water before you caulk it.