Basement washroom slope

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Johnny Quest

Basement washroom slope

Post by Johnny Quest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Hey Shannon,
Big fan of your YouTube channel.

I'm installing a washroom in the corner of my basement, the cement floor slopes towards the drain in the laundry room next door at a slope of 0.018 (i.e. every 4 feet it drops approx 7/8 inches). Should I level the flooring?

I don't notice the slope when walking on it. And it makes sense to have it slipped there.

Also, I had a plumber come in to put the rough plumbing in, and when he poured cement down it wasn't the smoothest in certain areas (like a 1/8"higher). Should I get a grinder to smooth these areas off? The base plate on my partitioned wall will sit on some of these areas.

Thanks so much.

Johnny

A. Spruce

Re: Basement washroom slope

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm

What are you putting in for a floor?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Johnny Quest

Post by Johnny Quest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:37 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm
What are you putting in for a floor?
I'll be putting in tile for the washroom and laminate in the adjoining rec-room. Still trying to determine the underlayment. Was thinking laying some sort plastic bubbled material on the concrete (can't seem to find anything at Rona or home Depot. Suggestions?) and then putting 1/2 or more plywood and then my finishing floor.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Depending on the severity of the cement ridge, grinding it may be in order, or floating it out so that it's less of a hump, just kind of depends on its placement. As for the wall plate, you can simply notch it a touch to go over the bump if you need to.

For the laminate, go with whatever the manufacturer recommends, no need to reinvent the wheel. Besides, you will void the warranty if you do any other way.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Welcome to the forum!

7/8" is a pretty steep slope. It is not the end of the world if something springs a leak at least you would know where it will head. If you can't actually feel it you may be fine leaving it. Something to think about though is how that will look against a shower threshold or against a tub which will be level. For looks you may want to use some self leveller and fix it before you get to far? Install at least the wall plates for a perimeter to contain the self leveller to the bathroom.If there are any gaps under the plates just caulk them first. In reality unless you are using PT lumber for the bottom plates you should use something between untreated wood and concrete. I use foam sill plate gasket and that usually would be enough to fill any little voids.

The 1/8" humps really may not be a huge issue but if you need to grind them a bit you can.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon