New replacement tub is 32" wide vs. old 31" wide tub

Ask your bathroom related questions here
bob ruble

New replacement tub is 32" wide vs. old 31" wide tub

Post by bob ruble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 am

Hi Shannon, My new replacement (CI) tub is 32" wide vs. my old 31" wide tub, so how can I add about 1 1/2" to my alcove space to accept the new wider tub in my bathroom remodeling project. The bathroom layout is a very standard 1950's design with a tub alcove (60" x 31"), with the tub 31" "wet wall" also being shared by a small 31" deep x 32" wide towel closet, which I do not plan to change; closet has a standard 24" interior framed door running 90 degrees off the 31" wet wall.
My thought was to just thicken up the closet door wall with a layer of flat 2 x 4's and new drywall on top of that to give me the extra 1 1/2" I need for the wider tub alcove.
BUT? How do I handle the door in this wall I am thickening? It is in the center of the 32" wall space with standard door frame/trim around it. Can I somehow remove the door trim and just extend the existing frame out the additional 1 1/2" thickness and reapply the door trim to the frame extenders on the new drywall built out surface?
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Shannon

Re: New replacement tub is 32" wide vs. old 31" wide tub

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 am

You could do that and extend the door frames but then that door will only open to a maximum 90 degree at best because it will hit the new jambs. I would remove the door trim and door jambs and then re install them out at the new position (1-1/2" out)and add to the jambs inside the closet making them wider there instead . This way the door will open without hitting the jambs..
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

bob ruble

Post by bob ruble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Shannon. Confirms what I was thinking pretty much.
So not being a trim carpenter myself, could you point me to a video of yours showing the "Jamb extension" process as I could not find it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:50 pm

I don’t have any video at this time for that.
Basically purchase some wood to match the jambs. Cut it to width and length you need. Then assemble a miniature frame that will sit up against the existing one and shim be tween it and the RO just like installing the frame. Nail it in place and run a bead of caulk between the old and new if it’s paint grade to pretty it up.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:55 pm

I will generally cut the extension so that it leaves a slight reveal agains the original. Maybe a 1/8” or so.