Bathroom Window Replacement Project

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Jdh81478

Bathroom Window Replacement Project

Post by Jdh81478 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi All!

First time posting, just joined the site and thanks for all the videos Shannon :D

I would like to replace several windows on my home and am starting with a bathroom window on the first floor. Picture attached below.

My house has a stucco exterior with 3.5 inch trim around each window. I’ve learned that I don’t want to mess with or disturb the stucco so plan to leave the aluminum frame of the existing window in-tact and insert a new window within the existing frame. Please share any thoughts on this plan and if there is another post like this, please let me know.

So to measure for the new window, I understand I need to measure the opening within the existing aluminum frame. Sound right ?

Still deciding on which windows to use but am planning to go with Millguard. If you know of a window brand and model that is especially good for this application, please let me know.

Thanks,
Joel
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Last edited by Jdh81478 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clarence

Re: Bathroom Window Replacement Project

Post by Clarence » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:16 pm

Question is that trim wood applied over the stucco ?
Why not take one of the trim boards off @ the jamb and see how the window is attached behind the trim ? You may be able to remove the complete window & not damage any Stucco.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Agreed, pull a piece of trim, see what you're working with before deciding other routes.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jdh81478

Post by Jdh81478 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I pulled off a piece and found that the existing nailing flange is easily assessable without having to disturb the stucco, except for a few tiny nicks I can fill in with calking and then paint over. I would prefer completely taking the old window frame out and replacing it with a new on as I'll have a slightly bigger window than doing a retrofit and I do need to replace some of the trim anyways.

Any other advantages that come to mind doing it this way?

Any key considerations?
BathroomWindow - 1 (1).jpg
BathroomWindow - 1 (1).jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 120 times
BathroomWindow - 5 (1).jpg
BathroomWindow - 5 (1).jpg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 120 times
I guess the next step is to take some measurements and so I can order the replacement window :)

Some recommend measuring from the inside while others from the outside. I know getting the measurements right with some room to shim and adjust is key to having a successful window install. Also need to consider the depth of the window. Any tips here would be helpful.

As I understand, to get the exact opening when measuring from inside, I measure the existing window opening, add an inch to the length and width for the drywall and sill thickness and when ordering the window, get a size that leaves 1/8 inch of play all around.

Any tips here would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Joel
Attachments
BathroomWindow - 4 (1).jpg
BathroomWindow - 4 (1).jpg (137.48 KiB) Viewed 120 times
BathroomWindow - 3 (1).jpg
BathroomWindow - 3 (1).jpg (127.72 KiB) Viewed 120 times