Had to rip out shower pan

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Post Reply
Jmaclicious
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:58 pm

So I noticed cracking around the drain on a 36x48 dreamline acrylic fibreglass shower pan and it was driving me nuts, that rough in was at roughly 16” off the back wall to drain, and I just ordered a new base from Kohler, a purist edition 36x48 cast iron enamel.. aside from the 200 lb difference the new pan will be, the rough in to the centre drain is 17”, with my current rough in I could pull the pipe towards me to get it to 17” would this be enough once I put a compressed gasket around the pipe and install the drain assembly to hold ? I’d prefer not having to jack up the floor to make adjustments if I can avoid it. :D. Also I’m going to use floor leveller for this new pan and the instructions mention metal shims, where as the old pan I used mortar... what would be good to use for metal shims?
Attachments
93A4D849-38BF-4553-9505-1FCB04D25EAF.jpeg
93A4D849-38BF-4553-9505-1FCB04D25EAF.jpeg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 189 times
EF01234B-F5F6-44F7-A3A1-3D98A8E715AC.jpeg
EF01234B-F5F6-44F7-A3A1-3D98A8E715AC.jpeg (162.04 KiB) Viewed 190 times


User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:02 am

As long as you're not putting stress on the pipe to get it to move the 1" you need, no worries. If you stress the pipe, you run the risk of fractures and leaks.

I would never use metal shims in a wet environment, I'd use plastic toilet shims or even pieces of Trex cut to the right thickness, something that won't rot or rust with moisture contact. Not sure why you couldn't use mortar or similar, unless the clearance between pan and floor is too thin to allow such things. As always, manufacturer recommendations are always best to follow if possible.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:46 am

I edited your original post as it said your original rough in was at 15" but your pictures show 16".

I agree with Spruce the 1" adjustment will be fine so long as you are not having to force the pipe and as long as the top of the pipe still sits level so it meets the bottom of pan nicely when pulled over in place.
I always use cedar shims or plastic shims or old pieces of plastic laminate to shim tubs and shower bases and use PL adhesive (or something like that ) to secure them in place.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Jmaclicious » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:02 am
As long as you're not putting stress on the pipe to get it to move the 1" you need, no worries. If you stress the pipe, you run the risk of fractures and leaks.

I would never use metal shims in a wet environment, I'd use plastic toilet shims or even pieces of Trex cut to the right thickness, something that won't rot or rust with moisture contact. Not sure why you couldn't use mortar or similar, unless the clearance between pan and floor is too thin to allow such things. As always, manufacturer recommendations are always best to follow if possible.
Shannon wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:46 am
I edited your original post as it said your original rough in was at 15" but your pictures show 16".

I agree with Spruce the 1" adjustment will be fine so long as you are not having to force the pipe and as long as the top of the pipe still sits level so it meets the bottom of pan nicely when pulled over in place.
I always use cedar shims or plastic shims or old pieces of plastic laminate to shim tubs and shower bases and use PL adhesive (or something like that ) to secure them in place.
So when you guys say not putting stress on the pipe, how much is too much stress? I do have to use a little bit of muscle to hold it at the 17" with one hand but nothing crazy, but between a Kohler K-9132 or Oatey non caulk gasket type of shower drain, plus the 175 lb cast iron pan... would this work? I was talking to a buddy and he is convinced that having the shower drain pipe "leaning ever so slightly" is wrong and i have no choice but to jack hammer the floor to change it out, however I don't really want to do that as I will disturb my weeping tile thats underneath the concrete and risk putting the other drain lines out of level.

Also depending on the height of the new shower pan with drain I may need to cut that riser down bit to add a fernco fitting to extend the pipe up a little bit more, so that would give me a bit more pliability too id assume. I guess worst case scenario i suppose i could dismantle the back wall into the bedroom and move it over if it needs to be done and leave the concrete alone, prob less of a headache that way.

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:24 pm

How much pressure is too much, it's a judgement call, I'd say anything more than a whisper of pressure is too much. When you push on the pipe, you feel the pipe when you touch it, when you apply pressure to move it to where you want, does the pressure in your hand increase? Maybe a better analogy is the difference between lifting an egg and a brick, the amount of pressure you feel in your finger tips with the egg is about what you want with the pipe, if you have "brick" level of pressure, it's too much.

Do you know how far it is from the drain to the main line? You can probably undermine the dirt a little beside the pipe in the direction you need to flex it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 am

Ya , I know what it feels like but not sure I can explain it in anyway that makes sense. If you are having to force it you are likely pushing to hard.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 am
Ya , I know what it feels like but not sure I can explain it in anyway that makes sense. If you are having to force it you are likely pushing to hard.
A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:24 pm
How much pressure is too much, it's a judgement call, I'd say anything more than a whisper of pressure is too much. When you push on the pipe, you feel the pipe when you touch it, when you apply pressure to move it to where you want, does the pressure in your hand increase? Maybe a better analogy is the difference between lifting an egg and a brick, the amount of pressure you feel in your finger tips with the egg is about what you want with the pipe, if you have "brick" level of pressure, it's too much.

Do you know how far it is from the drain to the main line? You can probably undermine the dirt a little beside the pipe in the direction you need to flex it.

Ok I broke up the floor bc my neighbour had a jack hammer he rented. Can I just use 2 x 22.5 bends to offset the pipe a little instead of digging down to cut the trap and such over??

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm

That will work .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Jmaclicious » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm
That will work .
Awesome, I got the rough in to the perfect measurements now, and I put down some Self levelling cement, however when I did it I suppose one spot was drying as I was pushing it around, the majority of the room is perfectly flat/level, except for one spot i guess it forced the one side of the alcove wall to be raised up about 1/4" maybe less than the rest of the room.. instead of putting down another layer of SLC and risking making it worse, I hope it will be good enough for the cast iron shower pan... for shimming you said to use Plastic toilet shims? Will those hold up the cast iron shower pan without losing strength and compressing over time? I did see in the Kohler instructions to use metal shims... but cannot find any info on this. I did see someone mention electrical box/junction covers, but not sure how well that would hold up?

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Had to rip out shower pan

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Metal washers will work well. I would secure them with a construction adhesive.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Post Reply