Sewer Gas Smell in guest bath

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Roknrobn

Sewer Gas Smell in guest bath

Post by Roknrobn » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Long story but ever since my sewer gravity pump failed and was replaced by the city I’ve had sewer gas smells inside the bathroom closest to the sewer tank. I’ve done the steps of running water, vinegar, baking soda, hot water, bleach, and ending with mineral oil to try to flush the trap then seal it. Only to have it return again a couple weeks later. What else can I check that might be compounding the problem? I’m a semi-retired DIY granny so best to start with small obvious steps for me to check before suggesting replacing anything substantial. Oh, old house built in 1950. Guest bath level is built on a slab.
By the way, SHANNON, I replaced my gas water heater coupler by following your video on Pilot Lights that won’t stay lit. It was awesome and easy to follow with good camera angles and clear views of each step. So, THANK YOU.

Shannon

Re: Sewer Gas Smell in guest bath

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:02 am

Glad we could help you with the water heater coupler. Unfortunately I am not familiar with sewer gravity pumps so I don't have any tips for you on that. Maybe one of the other guys on here will?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Ditto
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Roknrobn wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm
Long story but ever since my sewer gravity pump failed and was replaced by the city I’ve had sewer gas smells inside the bathroom closest to the sewer tank. I’ve done the steps of running water, vinegar, baking soda, hot water, bleach, and ending with mineral oil to try to flush the trap then seal it. Only to have it return again a couple weeks later.
I have no first hand experience with this either.

Is the pump out on city property ? If so, I would call the city and let them know what's going on.

If the pump is in this closet, you could try putting soapy water on the fittings to see if there are air leaks (the soapy water will make bubbles)
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Spam Jelly

Post by Spam Jelly » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:04 pm

This happened to me in my home. All you have to do is run the water in the shower/sink for about a minute and flush the toilet every month so water in the p-traps remains. Otherwise the water in the drain evaporates, allowing vapors from septic system to backup into the house, causing the stink.

Ruzty

Post by Ruzty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm

The only way for gases to leak back into your bathroom IMHO is thru drain piping. Check this link: https://structuretech1.com/plumbing-traps-2/
Do you have that water lock in the trap?