Shower stall in half bath?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Zhu

Shower stall in half bath?

Post by Zhu » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Hello all, so I have a newly built home that has a bathroom on the first floor that desperately needs a shower stall. If subfloor was plywood over joists solution would be simple but it's concrete slab. I have a toilet about 5 feet away from where I want the stall, and a sink on the opposite wall. Can I build a raised stall and run it to the sink? Considering size of the pipe and slope, I can maybe get away raising 6-7 inches... or is that absolutely bad idea? Thanks guys, really appreciate your time!

Shannon

Re: Shower stall in half bath?

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:01 am

this is fine only if you can raise it enough so that you can have a p trap below the shower as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Zhu

Post by Zhu » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:38 am

If raising doesn't work, and I end up breaking the concrete, what should I expect to see below? Is it just an inch of concrete with sand/loose gravel underneath? Would the drain pipe be accessible? Thank you in advance.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:43 pm

If this is a single story concrete slab house you should find the floor to be 4-6 inches thick and sand or gravel layer under that. If there is no rough in already there, and it sounds like there is not, then you would have to break a trench through the floor over to the main stack or main drain line. This new line should intersect it at a 45 degree angle if you can. . The main stack is likely near the toilet. The sink probably is plumbed into the wall then drops down into the slab where it would head to the main line.
This will not be a fun job and may take some investigative work to plan it out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Zhu

Post by Zhu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks for the info, will likely hire a plumber to help tackle this project!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:41 am

I think that is a wise move.