Replace or repair bathroom exhaust fan

Ask your bathroom related questions here
nkanderson

Replace or repair bathroom exhaust fan

Post by nkanderson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am

I'm pretty sure my bathroom exhaust fan motor finally died. It's been on the way out for a while - it was starting to take a good 10-20 seconds for the motor to start going when flipping the switch, and now the fan just hums and never starts spinning.

So I want to get a sense of how much work it is to replace vs repair. Do bathroom fans tends to be standard in size, so that I can disconnect and take out the current one, then drop in the new one? Are there any other common "gotchas" if I decide to replace the whole fan vs just replacing the motor in the current fan?

emtnut

Re: Replace or repair bathroom exhaust fan

Post by emtnut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 am

I've only done a few, and I think they all were Broan fans.

They sell replacements at most Big Box stores. Just get the model # from the fan motor.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

nkanderson

Post by nkanderson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

@emtnut what do you think is the level of work + time to repair vs replace? Like if I wanted to upgrade and get a different fan, not just repair the current one or replace with the exact same model?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 am

nkanderson wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am
@emtnut what do you think is the level of work + time to repair vs replace? Like if I wanted to upgrade and get a different fan, not just repair the current one or replace with the exact same model?
Well, last bathroom I did, I just bought a new one.
The plastic on the outside was a bit yellowed, and would have stuck out like a sore thumb with everything else nice a new !
I'm also older now, and getting lazier every year :mrgreen: Money wasn't an issue, so I went new.

The new one was around $140 , I could have repaired for about $40 ... so I guess it's a personal budget thing really.
Work-wise, probably saved an hour or so of my time by installing new.

nkanderson

Post by nkanderson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am

Oh cool. From what I was reading, it sounded like replacing the whole fan was possibly a lot more work than just pulling out the motor and replacing that one component. Good to know that it's about the same time and effort, assuming I get a new fan with the same dimensions.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Some brands have replacement motors for the common fans that were installed for years as well as some newer units. Search your brand and model/see.number on the manufactures sites to see if they offer a replacement motor.
The last motor replacement I did was maybe an hour by the time I did the swap and cleaned up. A full replacement of the unit could vary depending on the situation. Easy maybe 1-2 hrs , more difficult could be half a day or so.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm

If the motor replacement is available and the fan is sufficient for the bathroom then I would do that. If the fan never really did the job even when it was good and is undersized then I would go for full replacement.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

nkanderson

Post by nkanderson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Awesome, thanks @Shannon!

nkanderson

Post by nkanderson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am

So for anyone finding this later and attempting the same thing - I was able to pull out and use the motor from this replacement motor assembly, which was on the shelf at Home Depot. My fan model is the NuTone 769RF "B" unit, and it seems to be working perfectly.

There's a video on youtube that walks through the process. It was super straightforward and definitely easier to just replace the motor than putting in a new fan would've been. I'd say Shannon's estimate of about an hour is spot-on (when you include cleaning up all the dust inside the fan).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Glad it worked out so easy

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:56 pm

I'll keep this in mind for next time.

The ones that I changed the motor in was a real pain in the !!!
That may have been just for that model of Broan ??

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Ya most are pretty easy that I have seen.

okoyode

Post by okoyode » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 pm

I've replaced bath fans when I couldn't cope with the loud clanking sound. Pay attention to how quickly the fan powers up. When the fan seems sluggish or powers up slowly, this could mean that failure is imminent, and replacing it with a new one would be the best option