Re leveling bathroom floor

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Lou

Re leveling bathroom floor

Post by Lou » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:31 am

My bathroom floor is 5'x8' over an 1" low on the 8' side I was planing on taking everything out taking it down to the original subfloor shiming the low side with a couple foot wide 1/2 " plywood then going over the whole floor with another 1//2" peice then useing leveling compound if needed think that's a good idea??

Shannon

Re: Self leveling floor

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 am

That will actually not work ,the 1/2" plywood will not be thick enough and will flex between the spacer and the high side of the room. How thick is the original sub flooring?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 am

If the sub floor is thick enough and joists not spaced to far apart you may just be able to use self leveller like this one. This can be poured up to 1-1/2" thick. I would suggest your subfloor should be at least 3/4" plywood (not planks) and the joists 16" O.C.

Another option could be to cut out and remove the entire sub floor and sister new framing to the joists to level the room. Then new plywood. Min. 3/4" on 16" spaced joists and 1-1/8" thick on 24" joists. You need T&G plywood also or wood support under joints in plywood. These specs are right out of the Schluter hand book.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Lou

Post by Lou » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 am
That will actually not work ,the 1/2" plywood will not be thick enough and will flex between the spacer and the high side of the room. How thick is the original sub flooring?
my house was built in the 40s it has plank that lookes to be only a 1/2" and the joists are grater than 16 the whole house has sagging issues

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 pm

What type of flooring are you wanting to install after? It seems I was for some reason thinking you were doing tiles.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Welcome to the joys of old home ownership.

If you alter the floor height, what does this do to both the tub and toilet plumbing?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.