Bathroom Caulk Keeps Cracking

Ask your bathroom related questions here
brusue

Bathroom Caulk Keeps Cracking

Post by brusue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:07 pm

I had a contractor install a new fiberglass tub with surround tile almost a year ago. Every month or two the silicone caulk that he used between the tub and tile begins to crack. He has redone the job several times but it keeps happening. How can I fix this?

A. Spruce

Re: Bathroom Caulk Keeps Cracking

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 pm

can you post some images?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

brusue

Post by brusue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 59 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Looks more like grout or a grouted caulk than silicone. If it is grout, it will crack at that joint because of dissimilar materials and being a corner. Vertical corners will do the same thing, hence why these joints need to be followed up with caulk after grouting.

If it's actually silicone, it will need to be removed, cleaned, and replaced. If there is any moisture in the joint it will affect adhesion of the new caulk.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

brusue

Post by brusue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:56 pm

It is silicone, but it does have the appearance of grout. Once dry, it is "spongy." I will call again to have it replaced but I'm afraid it will just keep cracking. Is this a common problem? I have not seen this before.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm

I bet he never fills the tub with water when he does it?
Clean off all the old caulk and clean up, fill the tub to the overflow. Caulk the tub and drain it the next day.
I bet that does it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

brusue

Post by brusue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Actually, he's done that twice. Maybe he isn't drying it well enough before re-caulking? Not sure. It's so frustrating. I hope this isn't a problem I'll have to deal with every few months forever!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:16 pm

I would get rid of that grout/caulk and find a silicone that is an ok color to go with what you have going.
I have never used that stuff to seal the tub to the tile but maybe it just is not flexible enough or the tub is moving to much? It looks like its a drop in tub?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

brusue

Post by brusue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Yes, it is. I will ask him about that. Maybe it's time to try something else. I don't want it to look strange, but I also don't want cracks. Thanks.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Yeah I have a feeling the sand or texture that is embedded in the caulk is reducing its elasticity and strength. From my estimation that type of textured caulk is used more for tiling only, for inside corners typically. It's not a sealing-type of caulk at all.

If you can find some silicone that matches the color of the grout, I have a feeling it will work this time. Otherwise white or clear would probably look very acceptable.

As mentioned by the guys above, be sure there is very clean removal of the old stuff, fill with water, make sure the surfaces to get caulked are absolutely bone dry and clean before reapplication of the silicone.

Hopefully it'll be the last time you will have to worry about it again!