Shower niche on common wall of condo

Ask your bathroom related questions here
scampione

Shower niche on common wall of condo

Post by scampione » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Is is ok to install a shower niche on the common wall of a condo ? Is this the same as installing on an exterior wall ? There is currently bat insulation on that wall by the way. Or would this totally depend on how the units are constructed ? I was probably gong to do a Schulter prefab niche that - as far as i can tell - is fastened to structure on the sides of the niche.

A. Spruce

Re: Shower niche on common wall of condo

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:57 pm

I don't have experience with common walls, though what I can say is that they are meant to be a fire break between the units, so there may be restrictions on penetrations, such as a shower niche. I would recommend consulting with the local building department.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:44 am

I can not say for sure either. Porcelain tiles should be pretty fire proof them selves but the small grout spaces between them may not be fire proof enough? The other factor is cutting into a wall that is meant to be a fire separation , that may be a violation. Like Spruce said you would be best to check with your local building code office.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

christoff

Post by christoff » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 am

I have worked in older condo's before and there was space between the units for the drains etc., but it is probably a good idea to speak to the maintenance people of the building as they have probably been through it many times and know how much clearance there is.