Grab Bar - Fiberglass Shower

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Smitty

Grab Bar - Fiberglass Shower

Post by Smitty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:37 am

Hi

I am wondering what the best method is to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower.

My mother is elderly and would like a bar to assist her getting in and out of the shower.

It is a moulded fiberglass surround with tub – would it be safe to assume that the studs are 16” centres and I could measure from the corner or edge of the tub?

Thanks for your help
Paul

A. Spruce

Re: Grab Bar - Fiberglass Shower

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 am

Take a look at Wingits, if your fiberglass surround meets the criteria it is an economical option.
https://wingits.com/wingitspdfs/GBW40_F ... cSheet.pdf
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 am

This is a bit of a problem because fibreglass shower walls do not sit back against the wood framing except along the top usually. The walls them selves are generally to thin to attach directly to and will likely flex and maybe crack after use eventually? There are a couple of options out there that are made to attach to thicker fibreglass walls but I have never used them.
The main exception for an attaching point is right at the front 3-4" where they are usually designed for attaching doors and they are flared into the opening an extra inch or two. You may get away with mounting one there as the section is stronger. I would use a butterfly type hollow wall anchor. Because this is a tub type unit you could also look at assistance handles that clamp to the front tub edge. I was sceptical of these types but my father inlaw has one and it is actually very sturdy.
Hope this helps.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:43 am

I see Spruce has a link to one I was thinking of, this is another that is designed to be attached to the studs via a spacer.
https://www.thesolidmount.com
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks so much for the responses - I appreciate the help