shower stall fiberglass vs acrylic installation

Ask your bathroom related questions here
phantomvs

shower stall fiberglass vs acrylic installation

Post by phantomvs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 am

Hi guys !

I watched Shannon's 1 piece fiberglass stall video and was thinking of installing a similar model.
I actually think i found same model. Shannon any idea how well its standing up over time ?

Looked at the big box stores and noticed the 1 piece fiberglass stalls are cheaper almost half the price of acrylic. Wondering if fiberglass is ok and how well it holds up over time. Or is it better to upgrade to acrylic ?

Also i noticed in the video Shannon put the shower stall right against the 2x4 framing no drywall in between. Is this the same for acrylic shower stalls ? No problems with water infiltration ?

Also no need for a plaster of paris / mortar bed on base even if installing on cement floor ?

Thanks !

A. Spruce

Re: shower stall fiberglass vs acrylic installation

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 am

Fiberglass units are typically installed against the framing with drywall coming up to or over the lip that touches the studs. If the unit has joints, such as where walls meet the tub or pan, the joint is designed in such a way that water is always shed into the tub, preventing leaks. I am not familiar with acrylic units from a big box, I'm guessing that if they are of the same design as fiberglass, they would also be installed against the framing.

What I can talk about is cultured surrounds, these are flat panels made from acrylic or plaster base with acrylic overlay. They are installed over drywall, but the pan they are installed over is installed against the framing.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Yes both those types of staples are installed right to the studs just like a bath tub.

That actual shower in the video has never been used. That project stalled for one reason or another shortly after we shot that and has never been completed. I have installed other similar units and they are fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

kgelec

Post by kgelec » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 pm

two questions regarding install of one piece shower. Should there be plaster or concrete under pan to help support unit and should there be added support on sides to prevent flexing.
Thanks Ken

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Depends on the unit . Most now do not require any extra support on the bottom or the walls . Simply need a flat surface and straight walls framing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon