Fiberglass Mesh Tape

Ask your bathroom related questions here
guarddog

Fiberglass Mesh Tape

Post by guarddog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm

I am redoing a tub/shower. The thing has a window in it (hate that!).

I am using Densshield tile backer board. I will be using Mapei Aquaguard for the waterproofing (joints and screws).

I want to embed fiberglass mesh tape into the Mapei for added protection. Went to HomeDepot and Rona (Canadian) to see if I could find it. The staff looked at me like I was nuts, they had never heard of fiberglass mesh tape.

Then I remembered Schluter's Kerdi band. They don't say exactly what that product is, but it sure looks a lot like the fiberglass mesh tape I was looking for.

Anyone know what it is, and if I can use it with Mapei Aquaguard?

A. Spruce

Re: Fiberglass Mesh Tape

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Not sure if it's the same thing or not, but there is fiberglass mesh drywall tape, if you can't find it locally, Amazon would surely have it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

christoff

Post by christoff » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 am

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 am

No Kerdi band is not the same thing, and not sure if you could use it or not? Its water proof on its own but not sure if the Mapei will stick to it. What Christoff linked to looks the same as Kerdi band also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:19 am

Canadian Tire will have it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

guarddog

Post by guarddog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 am
not sure if the Mapei will stick to it
That is exactly what I was wondering. I watched a video of a guy on YouTube, who is a tile setter and he embeds the fiberglass mesh into the Mapei.

DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm

The kerdi band won't really work. The Mapei stuff will stick to it but it won't properly bond and seal the tub/shower enclosure. You need to make sure you're getting the wide roll of fiber mesh (6" or so), not the 2.5" fiber tape (which is identical to the mesh tape used for drywall joints, just alkaline resistant to work with cement products).

https://www.amazon.ca/Tile-Master-Water ... B00IVB5ATQ

Personally I haven't used the DensShield stuff before, and I'd recommend you contact them and ask what they recommend for sealing the joints and screw holes with their system. The fiber mesh stuff is usually for working with cement board where you need to paint a few coats of waterproofing membrane onto the entire thing, and the fabric is meant to reinforce the corners and 'soak up' a lot of the waterproofing stuff so that those weak spots have extra protection. Any paint on membrane may not adhere to the DensShield properly, there's a chance there's an entirely different way of doing it and the DensShield manufacturer will know what is best for their product.

Also out of curiousity which Youtube tile guy are you talking about?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm

guarddog wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am
Shannon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 am
not sure if the Mapei will stick to it
That is exactly what I was wondering. I watched a video of a guy on YouTube, who is a tile setter and he embeds the fiberglass mesh into the Mapei.
Just tp clarify ,it will stick to the fibreglass mess for sure but i doubt it will to the Kerdi band

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 pm

I bet you could use Kerdi Fix caulking in all seams and corners and Mapei water proofing over that.

guarddog

Post by guarddog » Wed May 29, 2019 7:21 am

Guys, I forgot to post an update on here.

I got some mesh tape, it took nearly 3 weeks to get it in the mail :-(

I did use it to add extra strength on all corners in the shower.

Hmmm... I was going to upload a couple photos, they are < 300kb but the forum is saying:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 29, 2019 2:09 pm

guarddog wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:21 am
Hmmm... I was going to upload a couple photos, they are < 300kb but the forum is saying:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
Site software updates made some changes that we're still ironing out. You should be able to post pix now if you'd like. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

guarddog

Post by guarddog » Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 pm

OK, trying again with a couple photos.

So the shower is made up of DensShield tile backer, then Mapei AuqaDefense was used to cover all screws. Ledges and edge I embedded the fiberglass mesh into the AuqaDefense.
Attachments
wet.jpg
wet.jpg (219.74 KiB) Viewed 57 times
ledge.jpg
ledge.jpg (293.31 KiB) Viewed 57 times

guarddog

Post by guarddog » Thu May 30, 2019 10:38 pm

Here is a shot of the bathroom once completed.
Attachments
bathroom.jpg
bathroom.jpg (195.98 KiB) Viewed 57 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 am

nice job. looks great