Bathroom floor leveling again.

Ask your bathroom related questions here
JohnR

Bathroom floor leveling again.

Post by JohnR » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am

Weekend DIYer here. Looking to ceramic tile my bathroom floor. Large format tile 12x24. Floor is 3/4 plywood. 40 years old. I've added more screws everywhere to make solid, no bounce etc. My problemo is that the plywood sheets are not level to each other. On a single sheet the floor is level, but going to an adjacent sheet, it's not level and typically the issue is toward a wall. Looks like my worst spots are about 1/4 inch diff or so (maybe even up to 1/2 inch). I want to put down Schluter Ditra system(bloody expensive that stuff)...but I'm thinking that before that, I should try leveling out the floor in some places. Can I do this with some thinset...let that dry solid, then apply more thin set over top of that for the Ditra as I put it down? I see the floor leveling compound guys are putting down and they are typically doing the whole floor...I'm wondering if I can avoid that because the floor is out in a couple of places but not that bad. I mean, I was thinking of not trying to level it because of how much thinset I'd be putting down with the Ditra layer plus 1/2 trowel for tile(and back buttering)..but then thinking the Ditra might not stick down into the thinset if the floor isn't level enough to begin with.
PS. Love the youtube vids. So glad I found your channel.

Shannon

Re: Bathroom floor leveling again.

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:06 pm

Well john you should get the floor "flat" before adding the Ditra for sure. I say flat because sometimes "level" is not possible or important. The best thing for that is a levelling mix. We had a similar post here this morning and you can look here for what I recommended.viewtopic.php?t=8040

See if you have more questions after that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Ok Shannon, looks like you're suggesting Sika Level-125 (looks like HD has it, if not I'll hit a Rona close by). Looks like I'll have to prime the area too. Just to double check though. The areas I need to flatten are like, 2'x4' and 6"x4', so can I just cordon off these sections or is this product meant to cover the whole floor...should I be doing the entire floor area? I ask because the bathroom is about 120 sqft made up of toilet/bath/shower room, dual vanity room, walk in closet room...all joined together...so there are a lot of little ins and outs to go around. Hence why I was wondering if I could flatted out the sections with regular mortar...let dry...then put down the Ditra (with more mortar of course).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Tack some wood strips around edges of areas you want to cover or you can do entire surface . If edges have definite high spots you may be able just to pour the low spots in without any boarders. So hard to give advise without seeing exactly what you have.
You have pretty small areas you may be able to use mortar but it’s not really made to feather out to nothing, it will likey crumble?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 am

Hey Shannon, ya, I appreciate that it's hard to make a call when you can't actually see the floor. Sika has this Mike Holmes vid/ad...between the 15 and 20 second mark is exactly what my issue is in a few areas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fxi-_fWEFU
In this vid they cover the whole floor, not just the low areas. I guess I'm not against full coverage as much as I'm just chicken to do it. "Bok Bok!" I think I'm just freaked out about it seeping through the floor even though I'd seal the edges and cracks between the ply boards.
Okay, I'll identify an area to tackle, cordon it off with some wood strips as you suggest and pour some Sika leveler and see how it turns out. When you say leveler can be feathered, do you mean I can sand the edges to make them blend in with the floor better?
Thanks for all your help so far BTW.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 pm

You can scrape the edges to taper them off. A paint scraper works good. Don't over pour the amount for the area or you will end up too high. Even if you are an 1/16 to low you are fine. Mortar will make up difference laying ditra and tile.

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 am

Update. Shannon, thanks for your help. I was a bit afraid to pour floor leveler, however, I found a product called EdgeBan (edgeban.com). It is a styrofoam barrier that you put around the edge of your floor. It gave me the confidence to go for it...and it worked out pretty good. The only problem I had was with the viscosity of the Sika 125 product. I think the amount of water they tell you to use is wrong. They must be shooting for some kind of dry time or something. I added a bit more than was called for, but it could have used even more. Also, I found big chunks of the Sika product stuck together like rocks...after I had poured the bag into a bucket of water of course. Anyway. Floor is in.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Glad you had some luck with your project