Dealing with an uneven tile wall (mirror mounting)...

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Manta

Dealing with an uneven tile wall (mirror mounting)...

Post by Manta » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:14 am

Hi !
I’m living in Sweden and would really appreciate any advice on my little dilemma.

(Picture below) This is our spare bathroom. It’s old – but we are trying to keep it functioning without any big renovations for the next 5 years, until next large house rebuild.

Previously there was only a single sink here. I throw that out and installed a used double sink complete with mirror and a spotlight ramp (not installed yet)

The mirror is a straight forward mirror glass without any frame or backpiece. It was siliconed to the wall on its previous location.

Only thing is, in the middle of the wall (marked in red) there is a little ”ridge”that brings a depth difference of circa 14 mm (0,55 inch) at the middle of that tile wall.
This means I cannot just glue the mirror in place with silicone because the ”ridge” on this un-levelled wall will probably create tension to the mirror and crack it.

I’m now thinking about screwing a laminated (pre-drilled) wood strip (about 3,5 inch high and 0,75 inch thick) to the wall and use a few wedge pieces between strip and wall to make it a tight fit. Then I’d like to place the mirror – resting on this horizonstal strip- and putting small amounts of styrofoam layers behind those areas on the mirror that have air behind them and the tile wall.
Finally I’m thinking on using some sort of nice-looking clasp or locking strip (screw-to-wall) at each end of the mirror to prevent it from falling down from the strip. Maybe even anchoring it also with silicone against the wall to be on the safe side.

Does this sound reasonable to You guys, or are there any simpler and better solutions that You can think of ?

Any hints are HIGHLY appreciated !

Wishing all a good day !
Jörgen

Picture number 2 show the kind of lamintated strip I’m planning on using. In a correct length of course, about 6 ft. These things are sold by IKEA, originally in order to divide a kitchen counter top from the kitchen wall. They are supposed to be highly durable to water. Unfortunately we got about 20 feet to many from them when we bought the kitchen, so I’m glad whenever I can use them for other purposes……
Attachments
bildpost1.jpg
bildpost1.jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Bildpost2.jpg
Bildpost2.jpg (102.43 KiB) Viewed 91 times
A grinder and a paint - show a welder what he aint......

A. Spruce

Re: Dealing with an uneven tile wall (mirror mounting)...

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:56 am

Don't use silicone, it isn't tacky enough to hold the mirror while it dries AND it will eat the mirror backing and destroy the mirror. Use a mirror bonding glue, a glass shop will have it, and it will account for the bump in the wall. Put dobs of the glue on the back of the mirror, then stick it to the wall, pressing a little more firmly where the bump is and less firmly elsewhere until you have the mirror flat and in place. this will result in a little gap on either end of the mirror between the wall and mirror.

Another method would be to frame the mirror or get frameless clips, and install a hanger cable to the mirror. Then the bump won't matter.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Manta

Post by Manta » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks a lot !

This method with mirror bonding glue would make the whole project a lot easier !
I especially appreciate the warning about silicone - it would make me cry to see the silicone starting to stain through the mirror foil.

I will give this a shot to the weekend and try to hunt down a good glue.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm

I would start at a glass shop for the glue, I'd also verify that the glue they use will support the mirror while it dries, if not, you'll have to make a temporary support.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Manta

Post by Manta » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:03 pm

make a temporary support
Absolutely- I wouldnt try anything else, even with a super-tack-adhesive. The risk of this 40 pound mirror falling down during the glues drytime and damaging the double sink is reason enough.

Thanks !