best method to finish around tub surround with drywall

Ask your bathroom related questions here
queene

best method to finish around tub surround with drywall

Post by queene » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:40 am

Hi Shannon and others, replaced basement tub with a three piece tub and surround, not sure how to finish the drywall that butts up to the tub surround. Surround has flange and in order to make it plumb it was shimmed out from the studs. any bathroom renovations I've done I have always tiled above my tubs, this is the first surround I have installed and I'm not sure which is best recommended method to finish the drywall up to the edge of the tub that will not rot and look nice. what would you folks do? please and thank you.
20190402_170715.jpg
20190402_170715.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 89 times
20190402_170722.jpg
20190402_170722.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 89 times

Shannon

Re: best method to finish around tub surround with drywall

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 am

I have installed many of these Maxx Essence tub/shower units. There are two main ways I do it.In all situations install the drywall up to the edge of the flange but not over it.

#1 If the wall flanges are at least 1/8" further back then the surface of the drywall the you can prefill the gap with drywall mud to be flush.This may take a couple or more coats and some time between coats to dry if it is further back then 1/8" because the mud will shrink and crack as it dries. Then mud and tape to the edge of the tub surround and finish just like drywall.

#2 If the wall flanges are flush or further back then that then you can install a tile border around the perimeter. I generally will use a 3x6 white subway type tile but it can be whatever you want really.

If the flange is sitting proud of the drywall surface then you have to get creative with tiles or trim of some kind . Here a few pictures , sorry the angles are not great to see exactly what i did but you get the idea.
Attachments
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 83 times
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 83 times
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 83 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 am

Typically, drywall butts to or goes over the lip. In cases where it butts to the lip, you will then need to finish the transition with either tile or trim. In cases where it goes over the lip, the drywall is finished as usual. The problem with going over the lip is that it bends the drywall at the lip, which doesn't look particularly good, notching the back out to accommodate the lip is the better way to go IF there is enough thickness of drywall to do so.

On the left side with bare stud, it looks like you can butt up against the flange. On the right it looks like it stands proud of the drywall, if this is the case you are relegated to doing trim to cover the flange. I have done this a few times, mostly in trailers where the walls are fully built on a table, then stood in place, the tubs are then installed over the drywall and trimmed. DO NOT use wood or MDF trim, they won't hold up. Get plastic or pvc trim for the job.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

queene

Post by queene » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:10 am

Too funny! You read my mind with finished look and the exact same Maax tub pack too. Image with the tile around the edge is exactly the finished look i like. I just didn't know if the drywall board should lay over the flange or up to it. Do you use any special drywall mud for the gap? Thanks for quick response.

queene

Post by queene » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:12 am

thanks a spruce for the advice!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am

Use as dry of mud as you can right out of the pail before you mix any water. It will be stiffer and hang up there easier while it dries. It will take an extended amount of time to dry because of the thickness so if you are in a rush you may want to use some 25 or 45 hot mud just to fill the gap.
In the past I used to notch the back and over lap the flange but it is a PITA , so if I want a drywall finish right to the finished wall I use option #1. It turns out very nicely.

I love to see the iPad right in the mix of tools and supplies! That’s the best tool for every DIYer in today’s day and age with YouTube!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Here is a video showing me doing the tile method. In video I did not fill the gap but I generally do now to make it easier.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9GDsbOVM4

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am
In the past I used to notch the back and over lap the flange but it is a PITA , so if I want a drywall finish right to the finished wall I use option #1. It turns out very nicely.
Yes, it is a PITA. 8-)

When you fill the gap with mud, do you tape it to keep it from cracking out? If you weren't running a tile border, just finished drywall, how would you handle the gap? Inquiring minds, and all that. :mrgreen: 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Prefill the gap and get it basically flush with face of the drywall. Then tape and mud the area basically like normal. This is because that thick mud will crack if it is not taped over. Place the tape against the surround edge and cover the gap area that you profilled. Then next coat basically I treat like one side of an inside corner. Applying the mud on a slight bevel so that you are covering the tape and feathering outer edge out to nothing. Many times this is all that is needed. Sand and prep for paint. It works very well.

When I’m covering with tile I just fill the gap with mud and sand flat while sanding other muddled areas. No taping required.