bathtub/shower enclosure waterproofing for tiling

Ask your bathroom related questions here
RJB

bathtub/shower enclosure waterproofing for tiling

Post by RJB » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm in the process of a bathroom reno. My question is related to the issue of vapor barrier on exterior walls and how it affects a waterproofing system such as redgard. I'm reading alot of information saying its not acceptable as it will create a moisture release problem in the system.here was my initial plan: 6mil poly attached to framing, cbu, then redgard.What I was wondering:If the wall sections below the tub are left unfinished,ie,no wall sheeting(typical) would this allow an escape route for any moisture that my get past the tile, grout,etc, and find itself between the cbu and redgard?I hope my question is not confusing?

Shannon

Re: bathtub/shower enclosure waterproofing for tiling

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Well Im not sure what CBU is?
The 6Mil poly should have nothing to do with the water control from the shower. You need the 6 mil poly if it is required in your area. Install concrete board or Drywall over that then the regaurd. Finally tile and grout. Use a grout like Mapei's flexcolor CQ will give you a long lasting water seal and it does not ever need to be resealed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

RJB

Re: bathtub/shower enclosure waterproofing for tiling

Post by RJB » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks.CBU is just the concrete backer.