Bathroom mirror silicone type?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
JohnR

Bathroom mirror silicone type?

Post by JohnR » Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 am

I'm about to put my bathroom mirror back up. It is about 4 ft tall by 6 feet wide. One of those typically bathroom mirrors you know? Will be using those bathroom mirror stainless steel hooks (will be looking to screw them into studs) but I also wanted to put some silicone behind the mirror. Indeed, that is what I found behind the mirror when I took it down. But maybe it's not silicone, maybe it's adhesive? The mirror was initially hung in 1980 and had about 6 beads of silicone or adhesive behind it...although the silicone/adhesive easily peeled off of the wall and off of the mirror...and it was still malleable. Is it an adhesive I should be using? I want the next guy (maybe it'll be me) to be able to "peel" the mirror off the wall with wedges like I did. I don't want it to be an adhesive nightmare for the next guy that takes that mirror down.

Shannon

Re: Bathroom mirror silicone type?

Post by Shannon » Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Just use 3 sets of mirror clips instead.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Silicone will damage the mirror, don't use it!

I'm not sure what type of adhesive glass companies use, I would recommend visiting a local shop to ask/purchase some.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri May 17, 2019 10:49 pm

Yeah just those mirror hanger/clips should suffice? You don't need glue behind it. I have one of those large rectangular mirrors in my bathroom and it just sits on those clips. The clips you put above the mirror pull up a little bit and spring back down so you can get the mirror inside the top clip.

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Used the clips...just made sure they were anchored (in stud) or with better drywall anchors than come in the package. Seems to be working fine. :D