Grout haze on tile

Ask your bathroom related questions here
JohnR

Grout haze on tile

Post by JohnR » Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 am

So, I put in some floor tile. It's a chocolate brown. I got Fusion Pro grout, cream colour. Instructions for using Fusion Pro is that you have 3 to 5 minutes before you wipe it off. In my case, perhaps due to the tile, a matte porcelain... I found I had about 30 seconds, if that. Ended up having to grout one line between tiles at a time...so I could get the grout off almost immediately. Turned a 2 hour job into 6 hours. However, where I first started grouting, I had spread the grout across several tiles as you normally would, like 6 of them...and of course did circles to make nice grout lines...then wiped...and voila...nightmare of grout haze embedded in the tile. All within about 2 minutes. No sh*t. Worst grout product ever. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. ANYWAY. My question is, does anybody know of a good grout haze lifting/cleaning/removal product that I can try out? Much appreciated.

Nick M.

Re: Grout haze on tile

Post by Nick M. » Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Wipe it down with a dry micro fiber cloth

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks for your reply Nick, but it's wayyyyyy beyond that. It's like it's embedded in the tile. I definitely did go through the process of applying the grout with a float, sponging it, wiping it with both a tile sponge and a microfiber cloth. I've tiled several floors in the past with no issues.

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Ohh it sounds like a textured tile?

This won't help, but next time use a sealer over all the tile before grouting if it is textured. This will make clean-up much easier.

Sounds like your in for some time using good ol fashioned elbow grease. I have also made this mistake years ago with tiles with tiny dimples all over. I had some success using a hard bristle scrubber brush and warm-hot water. It's going to take some effort however.
Their are some products that clean to de-haze rough tile, but I have yet to find one that really works. Maybe someone else on here has a better solution for both of us. Hope it works out

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Fri May 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Claim to de-haze....not clean

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 pm

good old elbow grease at this point i'm afraid
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 pm

See if you can find this product.
Grout Film & Coating Remover by ProSoCo, Inc.

christoff

Post by christoff » Sun May 19, 2019 6:06 am

according to Mapei technical service this product is"pretty amazing stuff"

http://www.mapei.com/CA-EN/Tile-&-Stone ... ze-Remover

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Tue May 28, 2019 9:01 am

Guys, thanks for the info/suggestions, I will give them a whirl. Expected some elbow grease would be involved. Nick M., ya, I thought about sealing the tile before grouting it. I don't really know how to tell how porous a particular tile is or not. I should have just fell on the side of sealing it. I got impatient because of the extra time it would have taken...I wanted to finish the floor and thought it would take about an hour...now it's taken me several more. Ack. Live and learn. That's the beauty of DIY!!