How to trim a one piece bathub and surround?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
squall280

How to trim a one piece bathub and surround?

Post by squall280 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm

I have a bathroom in which the one piece unit is flush with the walls on both sides. (The tub flange area is plumb against the rough stud walls on both sides.) i have to sheetrock the outside walls on both left and right sides of the tubs. How to i go about hiding the flange around the bathrub unit?

A. Spruce

Re: How to trim a one piece bathub and surround?

Post by A. Spruce » Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 pm

You either notch the back of the drywall to accommodate the flange, or you drywall up to the flange and fill the gap with mud. It will take a couple of layers to fill the gap, then you'll need to flat tape over the fill and edge of drywall to keep it all in place. You want the gap filled nearly flush before you tape the joint.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

squall280

Post by squall280 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:30 am

thats the flange i am talking about. the tub is perfectly up against the rough wall so i don;t know the best way to hide the flange.
Attachments
IMAG2755.jpg
IMAG2755.jpg (126.82 KiB) Viewed 266 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 am

So the flange is on the finished surface of the wall?

Sadly, this is how most trailer/mobile home/manufactured home installs are done, the walls are put place as a finished unit, then the tub/shower is installed against the finished surface, trim is then placed over the flange to the wall to cover the flange and finish the edge. Is this a great method, no, but it does work and does present a reasonably aesthetic finish to an otherwise unsightly install.

DO NOT use wood or MDF trim here, use PVC or plastic trim. PVC/plastic are a little harder to work with, but they will not swell or rot, should moisture get to them, and moisture IS going to get to them in time. When I replaced the crap trim in this house (manufactured home), I used a regular casing profile and a flat wood spacer behind it to keep it flat. This is all caulked in nice and tight to both the tub and the wall, then painted. It is an absolute necessity to keep these joints well maintained, or you're going to have trouble with the trim, regardless of what you're using.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 am

Looks to me like that side is not directly against the wall yet? So you would have to frame a small wall to fill the gap left beside the shower unit. Frame the wall so it is against the flange but sticking out 2" - 3 " and then drywall the face and the end. On the end drywall like Spruce originally posted. Either notch the back of drywall out or just butt drywall to the flange, fill the gap with mud sand flat and then tape over that area and finish.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

squall280

Post by squall280 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 pm

unfortunately the steam pipe i can't relocate so i have to take that into consideration which is why i am trying to get away with being flush with the flange.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 22, 2019 6:44 am

Ok well place wall in a position that you like it and purchase a vinyl moulding to cover the flange when you are complete. You need the wall in a position that you can place screws through the flange into the framing to secure the surround walls.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon