Is this a load bearing wall?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Hansolo

Is this a load bearing wall?

Post by Hansolo » Tue May 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Hey all. Renovating the master bath and want to demo out the majority of a partial wall that runs parallel underneath a single joist.

The way the wall is constructed makes me think it is load bearing but everything else around its positioning in the house makes me think otherwise. The opening you see in the middle of the wall was where a shower window was. I think they did all this framing just to accommodate the window frame and nothing else.
  • It runs parallel with joists
  • It is a partial wall
  • it is adjacent and perpendicular to an exterior wall
  • there is no wall or anything of significant weight above it upstairs (Master Bath is 1st floor)
See pics below. Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/X43sviY

https://imgur.com/gc8V9kl

A. Spruce

Re: Is this a load bearing wall?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 pm

Images don't load for me, so I cannot advise.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 am

very beefy header!!
I see nothing in your description that indicates it to be load bearing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Hansolo

Post by Hansolo » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks Shannon.

I keep asking myself... how in the world would a single OSB I-joist be used to support any load especially with large holes cut through it (6" duct)?

If they meant for this to actually support anything then I guarantee they would:

A) Not use a single OSB joist in parallel on top
B) Not cut any holes through it

This is driving me a bit nuts because I know it cannot possibly be bearing any load on that small portion of the joist right next to (and perpendicular to) a load bearing exterior wall but I keep wanting to feel better about it before tearing it down. :cry:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 30, 2019 5:14 am

how much of this wall under this joist do you want to remove?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Hansolo

Post by Hansolo » Thu May 30, 2019 7:31 am

Here is a better picture of the area before I started ripping it apart:

https://imgur.com/hmteEit

The partial wall is on the right with the peep show window in it.

That pic is wide angle so it makes the wall look bigger. In reality it is only 4 ft wide.

(edit) - Just realized I didn't actually answer your question. I am wanting to take out the entire top half (so all of the support). Only want to be left with a half height wall.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm

i still think you are fine

Hansolo

Post by Hansolo » Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am

Excellent. Thanks Shannon.

I never mentioned the reason why you see the ceiling demo'd out and the mystery 1/2" caps on the plumbing... in case you are wondering. :P

The 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 tees you see there are where the 1/2 inch feeds for the shower used to come across through a framed out drop in the ceiling. It was wasted space and gave the shower a claustrophobic feeling. I pulled it all out and raised the plumbing, exhaust fan duct and light up.

Where you see the shower tile end on the back wall is where the old shower ceiling was located.

Now that I am most likely going to demo out the entire top half of the wall, I have more plumbing to do when I reroute the 3/4" drops to the tub all the way to the exterior wall and down. :cry: More work.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 pm

that would have been a pretty tight space before

Hansolo

Post by Hansolo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:27 am

Yeah, the wife did not like it. So, it gets changed.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected Shannon. I feel much better about tearing it out now.