Shower Temp irregularity

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Hunterrl

Shower Temp irregularity

Post by Hunterrl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 pm

New homeowner here, we have a shower that’s a single tap control that has frequently varied the temperature while the shower is running. It’ll be just right in temp then swing to cold and back, boiling to back etc.

We upgraded our tankless hot water and neither of the other showers are affected the same way. Based in what I’ve read online it could be the regulator valve, but could it be something else?

Any suggestions before I pull the whole thing apart or call a professional?

Shannon

Re: Shower Temp irregularity

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Im not sure the this is a symptom of the regulator valve having an issue.
It sounds more like the on demand heater is having trouble keeping up to the water flow?
However most valve cartridges are covered by lifetime warranties and contacting the company with the model or part number will usually have them send you out a new cartridge. That is where i would start because it is a pretty cheap easy process to help prove or eliminate that as the issue
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Shower Temp irregularity

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Since you're only having problems at this one valve, I would replace the cartridge and/or adjust the anti-scald setting. If it's a temperature balanced valve, it could be wonky, a replacement cartridge is a pretty cheap way to eliminate this from the puzzle. Secondly, modern valves, at least here in the States, have limiters under the handle to prevent too much hot water being added to the mix, this may be maladjusted or damaged.

Google your valve brand and see what you come up with from the manufacturer as to how to replace the cartridge and set the temp limiter.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.