How to match grout

Ask your bathroom related questions here
ermac4482

How to match grout

Post by ermac4482 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:32 am

Hello

My new house we moved into in Oct has all tile and the grout seems to be coming out and I need to regrout it. How do I match it . Do they have Grout samples at Lowes or somehwere?

Shannon

Re: How to match grout

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 am

Most places that sell grout will have pamphlets or other samples to take home.
Generally old grout is kinda dirty and hard to tell color for sure or it may not even be from that grout manufacture whom you have samples from. all you can do is clean grout well and see what you can match closest
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 am

You're going to have much better luck finding a suitable color once the grout is cleaned, more on that in a minute. If the grout is crumbling out, collect a sample of the grout in question and take it to the store with you, you can then match them to the labels of the product or color chart if the store has one. You will likely find the best selection of colors at an actual tile supplier, such as Dal Tile or similar dealer, over shopping at a big box or hardware store.

Grout is tough to clean without the right tool, steam cleaning will make old grout look brand new! I highly recommend a SteamFast SF275, great for grout as well as general cleaning and sanitizing duties around the house. It's a versatile machine that actually works at an affordable price.

I know this sounds a bit like a sales pitch, however, I used to review vacuums and steam cleaning machines and have extensive experience with these machines, ranging from $20 to $2000. Steam cleaning is pretty awesome, but the price of machines can really scare you away from trying it, especially if you don't know if you're going to like using it or the brand/model you buy is going to work correctly or be right for your needs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

ermac4482

Post by ermac4482 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:51 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 am
You're going to have much better luck finding a suitable color once the grout is cleaned, more on that in a minute. If the grout is crumbling out, collect a sample of the grout in question and take it to the store with you, you can then match them to the labels of the product or color chart if the store has one. You will likely find the best selection of colors at an actual tile supplier, such as Dal Tile or similar dealer, over shopping at a big box or hardware store.

Grout is tough to clean without the right tool, steam cleaning will make old grout look brand new! I highly recommend a SteamFast SF275, great for grout as well as general cleaning and sanitizing duties around the house. It's a versatile machine that actually works at an affordable price.

I know this sounds a bit like a sales pitch, however, I used to review vacuums and steam cleaning machines and have extensive experience with these machines, ranging from $20 to $2000. Steam cleaning is pretty awesome, but the price of machines can really scare you away from trying it, especially if you don't know if you're going to like using it or the brand/model you buy is going to work correctly or be right for your needs.

Thanks for the information also , at our old house I used toliet bowl cleaner to clean the white grout and it worked like magic. Im sure someone will say not to but it worked great. Either way that steam cleaner sounds good since we have two very young kids. I dont have those stores but I think we have a color tile or something else. Thanks

-Dusty