Unexpected encounter

Ask your bathroom related questions here
gazoo

Unexpected encounter

Post by gazoo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi all, I’m back to this great forum for tips/help for another project im beginning but I’m a bit bewildered at what I’ve encountered...hoping for some clarity from you!

So I’m redoing the kids bathroom and they were hoping for a floating vanity but upon removal of old vanity I found this. This is a second floor washroom.. adjacent room is a bedroom. Not sure why this was done this way...

This pic is mid-demo. All tile is now gone, tub will go to make room for a shower instead. I was going to put a hole in the drywall to see what the reasoning was for the location of this waste pipe. But figured I’d ask here first in case it’s quite common.
Attachments
DECC415A-129E-41E7-AE08-AFF9FD4315A0.jpeg
DECC415A-129E-41E7-AE08-AFF9FD4315A0.jpeg (143.13 KiB) Viewed 357 times

Aaron

Re: Unexpected encounter

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Looks like your main soil stack pipe makes a short horizontal jog between the first and second floors. It's above the floor, very likely, because it runs perpendicular to your floor joists and would be hard or impossible to go through them so the pipe can be below the subfloor instead of above it, like it is.

It likely was an error or oversight in the floor plans of the house. There typically is a common wall, or chase, on the interiors of most homes so that stack is just a straight vertical pipe from the lower level (basement) to the roof where it vents.

Unfortunately you're going to have to install another traditional vanity cabinet to cover it up.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 am

I see multiple things going on here that only some exploratory surgery will explain. My suspicion is that a wall was moved or some modification to the original structure was made by someone who didn't know what they were doing or didn't know how to deal with what they got themselves into . . . in other words, didn't know what they were doing.

Unless this is a trailer, i.e., manufactured home, mobile home, modular, or any other fancy word for an F'ing trailer, this is not a "normal" plumbing arrangement. Even then, this would be subpar for even the lowest lowly likes of a trailer.

I would open up the wall and floor to see why the vanity plumbing was done as it is. Maybe there is some structural components in the way for hiding these appurtenances where they belong. If you have similar issues with the tub/shower plumbing I'd open those walls as well. Without knowing what we can't see, we can't even begin to guess as to why we see what we're seeing, if that makes sense.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:56 am

This was done by the home builder...a very popular one around here- Mattamy Homes. Can’t say I’m surprised to hear it’s not a ‘normal’ thing. Basically, if u can swing a hammer, mattamy will hire you.
Good news is I’ve never had a plumbing issue as a result... however my design options are limited now but not the end of the world.
Let’s hope their are no nasty surprises awaiting me with the tub!

Thanks guys for your help as usual. I’m sure I’ll have more ?’s as I progress!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Just hope the wall on the first floor that has the pipe enclosed is not a load-bearing wall, because if it is, then the weight of the top floor is cantilevered rather than bearing directly down on it as it optimally should.

It is odd there'd be that jog in the pipe in a newly- or recently-constructed house. Even though it's not ideal, in terms of waste it's nothing to worry about, especially as it's only carrying drainage from the bathroom sink and not a toilet. (I'm guessing the toilet probably ties into it in the joist bay, perhaps parallel with how the joists are running.)

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 am

could be a load bearing wall...it forms the perimeter of the garage on the first floor...?

I had a closer look and still see no reason for it to be configured this way...both the tub/shower and sink connect to it and then it runs to the main stack which is connected to the toilet.

Its like one of you said...perhaps the wall was originally planned to be over more but then there was a change to the plans.

Anyways, ive never had an issue and will just have to use a regular vanity...no biggy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 pm

As long as you have a work-around, there's no need to change what is there. If a standard vanity will cover the pipe, I say go that route, which is infinitely easier than pulling up the floor and opening walls to see why it is how it is.l 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:52 am

Oh ya... im definitely working around it lol. "if it aint broke...dont fix it" applies here!