Looking for ideas/insight for my bathroom redo

Ask your bathroom related questions here
gazoo

Looking for ideas/insight for my bathroom redo

Post by gazoo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:21 pm

So I’ve gutted our 2nd floor common washroom. Removed tub to make room for a shower only (32”x 60”).

I was really hoping for a curbless design with a linear drain/trough against the long wall however I don’t think I want to mess with subfloor/joists etc to relocate drain etc.
This would mean I would have to work with existing drain location.. therefore floor would have to slope in the direction of where drain is now...which would mean an uneven floor situation at opposite end of shower. I intend on using the Schluter system for this project. It would be my second such project so I have some familiarity with it...

I guess my question is, is a shower curb the only option I have to deal with this unevenness?
The idea was to have a glass floor to ceiling wall cover half the opening (side closest to drain) and then leave other half open/curbless.

Second question is Re the existing drain. Due to old overflow section I will have to rebuild from ptrap up and the drain is also not centered. It’s a 32” wall and drain is presently at 14”, not 16”. I’m thinking I may have to move drain anyways ...correct? I’m also uncertain about distance from wall to drain. It’s presently 9” from studs. Not sure if that’s going to be an issue. ie too far out ?
Attachments
3330E4A9-4293-4AB5-A640-923396C2C98E.jpeg
3330E4A9-4293-4AB5-A640-923396C2C98E.jpeg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 313 times
06FA2E0F-1BD3-49CF-AA78-21BDF0143A11.jpeg
06FA2E0F-1BD3-49CF-AA78-21BDF0143A11.jpeg (127.58 KiB) Viewed 313 times

A. Spruce

Re: Looking for ideas/insight for my bathroom redo

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Without modifying the floor joists, you're not going to be able to center the drain, nor have a curbless shower.

With a curb, this allows you to raise the floor a bit to make room for the Kerdi panel or membrane and mud bed. I also don't think that the shower is large enough to work as a "walk-in". Without a door, water is going to bounce off the end wall and floor and go straight out the opening.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Yup I agree here. Unless you are a really careful shower user you will end up with water on the floor outside of shower. If this was maybe 7' long you may be ok but not at 5'. Also with a Schluter pan system I would purchase that first and determine the position of the new plumbing from there.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:46 am

Thank you both. I was thinking same thing- get the pan first. It’s too bad about the size. I actually have a narrow 15” wide x 18” deep space behind the plumbing wall but it’s only 18” deep because the wall runs at an angle. Otherwise I could reclaim that space for the shower. Oh well.

Guess I’ll do an all glass wall/door combo design...incorporating a curb somehow.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:57 pm

ya too bad you cant get that full space it would have likely worked then
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:39 am

guys, regarding the kerdi line drain...since im installing a curb, i will be left with approx 26" of width for my shower after tiling the curb. I think aesthetically, I will want a drain that spans the entire width. This would mean using Kerdi line #KL1V60E60 which has a grate dimension of 23-5/8" and a outside dimension of 25-5/8"...pretty much butting up again both sides (wall and curb). Is that ok or should i be leaving some space on both sides?
Unless i custom build a curb (to be smaller in width than the kerdi one) I wont have much say in the matter since i dont want the curb protruding past the outside wall.

I tried to find something re my question on the schluter site but couldnt find anything.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 pm

The only reasons not to use this drain is if it results in an uncomfortable floor to stand on or that the pieces of tile to go around it are too small or hard to cut to size. it doesn't sound like either of these things are an issue, so I'd say go for it. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 am

I would say it should be fine. There is no need to remove it later so I would do it.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:50 am

great.
I guess once i have the drain in my hand it will put my mind at ease...no one carries these things in stock around here ...only the more common point drain. Need to special order it.

I was visualizing an issue with the drain's surrounding fleece material and not being able to lay it flat at the sides...but it should not be an issue if i have to thinset it up the sides of the wall and curb (so long as i have the recommended overlaps)...

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:14 am

I have another question re the drain....must the drain be right up against the wall? If you look at this picture you will see one of the joists up against the wall. It presently sticks out about 1 3/4 -2". Once tile backer is up, it will be 1.5". Schluter specs show 7/8" to lip of drain from the wall. That joist will be in the way. Can i back the drain off a bit to compensate?

The negative to this idea that i can think of is a) be cutting small slivers of tile up against wall and b) Ill get pooling of water up against wall.

Is my only option to nibble away at the joist? Dont like that idea....

ps i had to make the subfloor hole larger so that i can re position the ptrap/drain. I will be prepping/supporting this space to accept a fresh patch of 3/4" subfloor and then cut a new 4.5-5" hole as per Schluter.
Attachments
IMG-2788.JPG
IMG-2788.JPG (170.46 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 am

I believe you are using the Schluter shower base ? I'm not sure on the positioning in the base so you may find that on line.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 pm

unfortunately this base has no front 'border'...its open. So unless i modify the joist its going to be a problem. One work around would be to double up the tile backer on the front wall...im using kerdi board so i would use regular gypsum and kerdi board on top to save some $. (i know i dont need to use kerdi baord at all but since i dont do this for a living, i dont mind shelling out a bit extra for the convenience).
Attachments
IMG-2790.JPG
IMG-2790.JPG (111.05 KiB) Viewed 223 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 pm

You could add furring strips to the wet wall to shim it out to the distance needed, rather than modify the joist. I would cut wood strips from 2x4 or larger 2x to the desired thickness, then nail or screw them in place. With this method, you can set the wall/drain orientation exactly where you want it AND you can move the shower valve forward in the wall to maintain the proper placement to the finished surface.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am

This pan is 5 inches short of your total space anyways so why not push it to the RH end f the space and fill in the 5" extra pan space at the LH end to lengthen it? This should get your drain past the joist.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 am

Shannon wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
This pan is 5 inches short of your total space anyways so why not push it to the RH end f the space and fill in the 5" extra pan space at the LH end to lengthen it? This should get your drain past the joist.
i could do this aswell...but i plan on having a bench at the RH. So that will be at least 12"

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:39 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 pm
You could add furring strips to the wet wall to shim it out to the distance needed, rather than modify the joist. I would cut wood strips from 2x4 or larger 2x to the desired thickness, then nail or screw them in place. With this method, you can set the wall/drain orientation exactly where you want it AND you can move the shower valve forward in the wall to maintain the proper placement to the finished surface.
thats a better idea than mine!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:06 pm

By moving the pan you don't loose any space in the shower because your not shimming out the wall on the lh. Your bench can still be at the RH end. Moving the pan does not change that.

gazoo

Post by gazoo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Shannon wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:06 pm
By moving the pan you don't loose any space in the shower because your not shimming out the wall on the lh. Your bench can still be at the RH end. Moving the pan does not change that.
But wouldn't i end up having water pool up against the LH wall as a result?
I guess i could slope the sliver of tile that will be up against the wall to combat this...?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Yes exactly. you will have to fill the extra space left behind after sliding the pan over. You could purchase another curb or whatever you need to fill it in and just add a little more slope there with your mortar and tile. It wont take much to continue the slope you are already working with.