Bathroom Remodel

Ask your bathroom related questions here
A. Spruce

Bathroom Remodel

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 am

Big bathroom project started on Monday August 5th. The guy I was supposed to be helping has become too busy to help me, so the project, for all intents and purposes, is mine. He was able to spend day 1 on site to help with the demo, which we got about 90% done. It was a very productive day and resulted in 2100 pounds of debris (I have the dump receipt to prove it :mrgreen: )

Day 2, was less productive, although the first half of the day was burned doing dump and material runs. Got some of the framing figured out. I am recessing the floor to allow space for a mud bed for the curbless shower. The bathroom started life at 5'5"x6'6, by pushing the closet wall over a foot, it's now 5'5"x7'6", which allows for a 48" shower and 30" pocket door, current door is only 24".

The catch here is that the closet wall was formerly an exterior wall, so I have to figure out how the roof is currently framed to know if it's still a bearing wall or not. I have to finish the floor to have a place to work before figuring out what's in the attic, but I can't finish the floor until I finish removing the existing wall, which I can't do without getting into the attic . . . :| :x :mrgreen:

I got pix at the end of day one and will take some more today and try to get them posted ASAP.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Re: Bathroom Remodel

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 pm

End of day 3, got the floor framing done and the new wall done. Had to open the ceiling to see what was going on above the wall being relocated. Being that it is the former exterior bearing wall, I had no idea what to expect above it. Best case scenario, the roof was removed and reframed and there is nothing above . . . This wasn't the case. :x

I have to drop the entire bathroom ceiling to be able to easily access all the plumbing and electrical, it will also allow a better inspection of the attic to see how the house extension was grafted on. I was really trying to avoid dropping the ceiling, but there's just no way around it, and it will be easier to do so than crawl around the attic in cramped quarters to do the plumbing and electrical work, so, down it comes.

What I know so far is that it looks like the extension was done pretty well. It looks like a header was installed to carry the existing bedroom ceiling, plus the extension, unfortunately, this doesn't extend into the bathroom, I will have to install a header to carry the old roof rafter tails and bathroom ceiling. The good news here is that I should be able to create a pocket and slip a header into place AND support it, without any of this stuff getting in the way of the new plumbing and pocket door.

I got a few more pix this morning of yesterday's work, but didn't have time or inclination to take any at end of day today. I'll get more pix tomorrow before I start. It won't be until this weekend that I'll have time to edit and upload them. I'll likely edit previous posts with the pertinent pix to maintain a cohesive story line.

So far, there has been nothing that wasn't expected, which is a good thing, though it has taken some concerted thought as to how to modify things to our unique needs as we go along.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 am

Still a very small bathroom! Interested to see how it moves along.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:42 am

Yeah, it's definitely tight for the things we want to accomplish, the saving grace is that there will be no shower door, only a small partition just inside the door to keep water from splashing into the bedroom, so it will be 4' x 5'6" overall, and just under 4' between the toilet and shower wet wall, making for a huge shower area.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 pm

End of Day 4:

Not a lot of visual progress, but a huge leap forward was made by getting the header set into the attic to carry the ceiling joists and old roof rafters. Of course, nothing is "easy", I had to change out the sole plate on the wall for the header support, but, with this done, the original wall that we're moving is now completely gone. Installing all the joist hangars to all the overhead stuff took quite a while with the limited access.

I thought I was going to have to drop the entire ceiling, but it looks like this won't need to happen. Very thankful for this because it's that brown woolly fiberglass with blown insulation over the top of it, super itchy stuff to go down your shirt as you work and are sweating your arse off!

Oh, the client has now requested a smaller closet door be put in. It's currently a 48" bi-fold door opening, we'll be reducing it down to a standard 30" door, which will give us 12" on either side of the door for shelving and hanging stuff, which was the major selling point of doing it. Guess we'll be installing new drywall on the entire bedroom/bathroom/closet wall. :mrgreen:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03 pm

End of Day 5:

Floor is completely done now, just waiting on plumbing work before securing it down.

Bought one of those pocket doors in a box from Evil Orange, it seemed like a good idea at the time . . . it wasn't!!!! "Assemble in 5 minutes", yeah, right, not with those lousy instructions and garbage pix provided! I also had to modify it from stock for my own purposes, which didn't help. Basically, just replaced the three pieces of 1x4 on one side with 3/4" plywood so that we'd have a stronger frame for the more rigorous use we expect, as well as be able to mount a TV on the wall in that location. It was a major PITA, but it's finally done!

And, while that's all that got accomplished today, there was some wiring I had to deal with, cleaning up wood debris in the sub-area, general site clean-up because it's Friday, extra clean for the client over the weekend, and a few other small do-dads here and there that suck time like a son-of-a-whoo-haw!

We're in a good place for Monday, which will start the plumbing mods. I have just a touch of framing to do for the toilet, only 3 or 4 studs to put in place, and that's done. I'll probably wait to narrow the 48" closet door to 30", partly due to materials in the way and partly for the clean access to the work zone for the plumbing and shoe-horning drywall into the cramped space. We'll see.

My buddy will be back on Monday to do the plumbing and help with the electrical. He says he's got the whole week free, so I wouldn't be surprised that we have the drywall up and possibly the tile mud bed down by end of week. Again, we shall see. What seems like it should only take a few hours has taken considerably longer on this job. I don't know if it's because I'm old and slow or shstuff is just taking longer than expected.

Pix to follow soon. :mrgreen: 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Pic time!

The first pic is about half way through the floor framing and moving the closet wall.
S1390001b.JPG
S1390001b.JPG (263.62 KiB) Viewed 477 times
This second pic gives you an idea of what's going on.
Light Blue - As I mentioned, we're recessing the floor for the curbless shower mud bed. the area to the left of the beam is the sink area, however the shower encroaches here a little bit, hence the notch in the floor joists.
Red - The closet wall being moved was originally the exterior wall of the house, hence the foundation. The joists out to the right of that beam are the closet. The new floor was framed and sheeted with plywood, so the joists are higher than the original beam and 2x6T&G floor. These joists have to be notched as well, as this is directly in the shower. A ledger was placed under the joists so that the notch won't affect the structural integrity.
Green - This is the original bathroom wall, and this one stud was the only one that had any weight on it. The arrow shows the location of the new wall, 12" into the closet.
Purple - This is where the wall hung toilet will live.
Dark Blue - shower valve and head. A hand shower wand will also be on the toilet wall so that the toilet area can be washed down easily and frequently.
S1390001c.JPG
S1390001c.JPG (277.1 KiB) Viewed 477 times
The third pic is the inset header to carry 3 rafters of the old roof and the bathroom ceiling, as well as the closet ceiling on the other side.
S1400001b.JPG
S1400001b.JPG (202.67 KiB) Viewed 477 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Day 6 - Got all the water lines replumbed. Tomorrow is the waste lines' turn.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 am

Project is coming along nicely.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:29 am

It doesn't feel like it, some days, yesterday was a pretty decent day though.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 am

Well, looking forward to the pics as you progress.

It's a small bathroom, but a total gut is ALWAYS a big job. Plus the changes you're doing too.

Some days you put in 8hrs, and the client can't see the difference, other days it can be 4 hrs and it really shows progress.

Now get back to work !!! Daylights burnin' :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Day 7 - All of the plumbing is done, we can now button up the floor and hang the drywall. Still need to frame the new closet door, haven't been able to do so for all the materials that have been in the way. Will get more pix once the drywall is up.

Actually quit at 3pm today, just didn't have the muster to continue. Temps are back into the 100's for the next 4 days, which doesn't help with mustering the gumption to git'r done! :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 am

Bankers hours :mrgreen:

This thread may go on a long time :lol: :o ;) ;) :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Pics, pics, pics!!!! All this work and you have nothing to show for it??!?

For all we know you're making it all up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Well, I could take pix of bare studs all day long, the room is so small that you can't get a wide enough shot to really understand much. Worked up the time card today and I will have 84 hours by Friday, day 10. My buddy has been able to be on site this week, so we've gotten a lot accomplished, you just can't appreciate what it takes to rework plumbing and electrical without being there.

Day 8 - Got the subfloor down permanently and the drywall hung, taped, and 2nd coated. I took some pix of this today, if I have the gumption to get them edited, I'll post them tonight.

Plan for Day 9 is to finish and texture the drywall ready for paint, then get the durock and mud bed installed.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 pm

C'mon you can't push a button to take a digital pic? Not like the old days when you had to get film developed!

Get your client to post some pics of you working. I know you can't wait to show off an action shot of you swinging a hammer or something.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:01 am

I don't have one of them there fancy "smart" phones that are so popular with you kids these days, I have to use an actual camera, it is digital, which is a step in the right direction, but I can't simply snap and post pix, I have to edit them, and I have to say, working as hard as I am right now, editing pix is very low on my priority list! :lol:

I did take some shots this morning before work started, mostly for reference/info pix for the client to have later. They show the location of blocking that has been installed for grab bars and such. Then I took some pix at the end of the day showing the taped drywall. I'll get them posted in the next few days. 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Day 9 - Drywall was finished and textured and the mud bed was half laid, my partner didn't buy enough materials . . . :roll: :lol: Got a few other miscellaneous things done, consult with client, additions, changes, you know how it goes. :mrgreen:

The good news is, I got off about 1.5 hours early today. Heading out to dinner soon, if someone doesn't feed me too many beers, I might even get some pix posted tonight! :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am

Sprucy got drunk last night :o

Gunna be a tough work day today :lol: :mrgreen: ;)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:30 pm

No, Sprucy din't! :lol:

Took the roommate and her granddaughter out to pizza last night, had a couple beers, then had to take them to the train at 10:30pm, roomy was taking GD home to Washington state. So, no, didn't get drunk, not even a buzz, since there was lots of driving to be done.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Day 10 - Finished the mud bed, got the walls/ceiling primed, framed the closet door down from 48" to 30", and got the rest of the drywall hung and fire taped. Spent the last hour of the day returning excess materials.

I did get more pix tonight. It's looking really good, not much left, probably another 5 or 6 days worth over the course of two or three weeks because of waiting on doors that won't arrive until the 26th, and the shower surround that will be another week after that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 am

That will give ya some time to get your pics edited!😉

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Yeah he's getting right on that, I am sure. Spruce loves pics.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Got side tracked and didn't update yesterday.

Day 11, got the bathroom painted out and the rest of the drywall topped, also got the Kerdi membrane installed. I'm really loving the Kerdi system, both the membrane and the drain choices they have. Sure beats doing the old hot mop of yesteryear.

Day 12, tile floor is down, bedroom wall and closet are textured, medicine cabinet is in and bath electrical is trimmed out.

We had two glass companies in to assess the partition wall needs. First guy couldn't see past his comfort zone to do what we wanted, second guy only saw solutions to our needs. Care to guess who's gonna get the job? :lol: We want a hinged partition so that there's both more room for access into the shower and a larger shower area, both without allowing water to escape into the bedroom or out onto the hardwood floor. A hinged panel allows for a larger panel, without it getting in the way.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Day 13 - My partner got the tile grouted while I primed and painted out the closet and bedroom wall. While this doesn't sound like much, it was still the better part of a day because of using different colors for the closet and bedroom. We finished up about 2 hours early, just enough time for a pub run before heading back to the barn. :twisted:

Quick question, how do you keep Aaron in suspense? Promise to get pix edited and posted. ;) ;) :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 pm

I'll probably get around eventually to building a shower stall in my unit upstairs of the duplex here, I currently have this teeny-tiny ridiculous bathtub that is too small for anyone except a child. It's basically a shower stall already. I need to rip it out and put in a proper shower stall with a sliding glass door. When I do I will use that Schluter system for sure.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Aaron wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 pm
I'll probably get around eventually to building a shower stall in my unit upstairs of the duplex here, I currently have this teeny-tiny ridiculous bathtub that is too small for anyone except a child. It's basically a shower stall already. I need to rip it out and put in a proper shower stall with a sliding glass door. When I do I will use that Schluter system for sure.
Go to the Kerdi website and read through their posts and watch their vids. The vids are what sold me on the product. While a pro always makes anything look easy, this really stood out as a fantastic product that was super super easy to use.

I'm used to doing hot mop pans, then mud bed, then tile. With the Kerdi system, you mud bed first, then Kerdi over the top. Their method for doing the mud bed was easier than anything else I saw on YT or what I've seen my subs do over the years. Then, you thinset the membrane down over the top of the mud bed, then tile directly over that. It truly was as easy as it looked in the company vids. Definitely will use it again! 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 am

I've got another bathroom to do in December and will be using the Kerdi membrane on that one too. Not sure if we'll be doing tile or cultured surround, either way, the Kerdi will prevent the walls from having issues should a grout line or caulking fail, and this particular client isn't much on maintenance, so caulk failure is highly likely.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Yeah it's an amazing product. Materials technology has made leaps and bounds. It's amazing how something as lightweight as Kerdi has replaced that crazy heavy and hard-to-cut cement board.