HRV

Ask your bathroom related questions here
colinmacdon

HRV

Post by colinmacdon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:06 am

Hi,

I am developing my basement which will include a bathroom, and I will need to add some kind of exhaust. Now, our house has an existing HRV VENMAR 1.5 which is connected to each of two bathrooms and laundry room (all on the main floor--its a bungalow)--all with 5" ducts connected to the 6" duct coming right off the HRV. Is it as simple as teeing off the main 6" duct with another 5" duct and place that in the bathroom? How much should I worry about all the CFM calculations and such?

Thanks again,

Colin

Shannon

Re: HRV

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 am

Sorry but I am not familiar with HRV units as i have always used a separate bath exhaust fan. I'm sure you would have to be sure that you could add this room without going over the CFM limit of your unit. I also know most times these units have been set up to run off of one centralizes control but it would be best if you could control it also from each bathroom as well so you could be sure it is running when you need it. I would suggest contacting your local HVAC supplier for some information.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I did the same thing in my house. I had an existing HRV for the main floor (kitchen, baths, laundry) and finished the basement. I simply added another duct into the appropriate run to the HRV for the basement bathroom. Then I extended the low voltage wiring and installed the correct timer switch from the manufacturer so we can activate the high speed mode from the bathroom.

It shouldn't be a problem, but use Bing/Google/Yahoo, search on your make/model, you can usually find an owners guide or installation guide which will provide specifications. If in doubt, you can contact the manufacturer directly, I contacted vanEE (the maker of my unit) and they were very helpful. I just searched for my model and was able to find an installation guide, spec sheet, brochure, and user guide. Good luck.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:45 pm

p.s. For what it's worth, my house is about 1,500 sq ft and the unit I have is rated for 98 CFM. I honestly don't know if it's sized appropriately but it was in the house when I bought it. Adding one duct I don't think will be a problem. I know my system works just fine.