Shut Off Valves

Ask your bathroom related questions here
jvelaz1971

Shut Off Valves

Post by jvelaz1971 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 am

Hi Shannon,

Hope all is well. I was told by an associate at Home Depot that I could install a shut off valve that will work to shut off the water for both my tub & shower with only installing only one valve. However, for the life of me I cannot picture in my head exactly how this is done. If I had to install a shut off separately for the tub & one for the shower; this would be simple for me.

Any help would be great. Specifically a diagram of some sort.
Thanks

Shannon

Re: Shut Off Valves

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:12 am

Well if the cold and hot lines coming to this area are supplying both the tub and the shower then it is simple. Install the shut off in those pipes.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Shut Off Valves

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:49 pm

It totally depends on how it's all plumbed and what kind of access to it you have. If you can get into the main line BEFORE the bathroom, then yes, one valve will shut off both fixtures. However, if you only have access at point of use, then separate valves for separate fixtures.

Also, you say "one valve", I assume that is one for hot and one for cold, and not referring to only shutting down one side of the system.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.