Textured bathroom ceiling

Ask your bathroom related questions here
khartert26

Textured bathroom ceiling

Post by khartert26 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 pm

We are in the process of putting in a bathroom in our basement. Plumber finished today and we are ready to start sheet rocking. I have been told by a couple people not to texture the ceiling in a bathroom. Is it a bad idea due to humidity? We live in Minnesota. Is there a specific prep that should be done to the sheetrock to make it ok to spray texture? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A. Spruce

Re: Textured bathroom ceiling

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am

It is perfectly fine to spray orange peel or knock-down texture in a bathroom, no special prep needed. You can not use acoustic texture because it will trap moisture, causing mold, mildew, and failure.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 am

I am not a fan or textured ceilings in bathrooms but if you are orange peal and knock down are the ones to use like Spruce said. Out of the two ,orange peal would be my choice for easier to wipe and clean if needed. Be sure to paint them as well and keep your bath exhaust fan in good working order
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Make sure you read the data sheet most joint compounds state "for use in areas not subject to moisture"

khartert26

Post by khartert26 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Thank you for your advice probably going to try knock down. My father-in-law spray textured the 2 bedrooms (supposedly has done alot in the past) the ceiling looks like its dripping & the walls have BIG runs all over. What a mess! He mixed it way to thin. Hoping I can lightly sand it down & get most of it off so the ceilings resemble knock down & maybe texture walls with a roller after sanding. Made alot more work out of it than it should be. Dont think I am going to have him touch the bathroom lol. Thanks again for your advice & the great videos you have put out, have watched many of them

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Wow it must have been watered down a lot to run.
I guess if you want it done right ya gotta do it yourself ;) :lol:
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

khartert26

Post by khartert26 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 pm

What is your opinion on the spray texture in a can? I know they don't cover much area but it's a small bathroom, 8'x9'.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:16 pm

If you're trying to match existing texture, a can won't cut it. Cans don't have the volume of product or the pressure to really apply a glob of texture, it's more of a mist. You get about the same amount of texture from a paint roller as you will a can. The only way to get a good, visible texture will be with a texture gun.

A texture gun consists of a hopper to hold the texture material with a trigger to release the mud into a stream of air. The air comes from a pump or air compressor, depending on what you have at hand or rent.

khartert26

Post by khartert26 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:14 am

Ok, thank you for all your help it is greatly appreciated. And thank you for making all those videos, they have been very helpful. Keep up the good work.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 am

cans I have not used much but in my limited playing with them I think they are a waste of money. Hopper and compressor is the way to go or maybe a roller but I have not used that method myself.

khartert26

Post by khartert26 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 am

Another question, we put in a tub with shower surround. What is supposed to be used as far as sheetrock? I have been getting conflicting answers from local lumber yard & contractors whether to use regular sheetrock, moisture resistant sheetrock, or durock. Entire bathroom is going to be painted including walls above shower surround & ceiling.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 am

As per the Gypsum Construction Handbook USG Centennial copyright 2000.
Page # 127 Water - Resistant Gypsum panel application: " Sheetrock Brand Gypsum Panels, Water resistant Firecode Type X & Water resistant Firecode C are Specially designed to minimize moisture problems" for use in bathrooms, power rooms, kitchens & utility rooms.
It also states to use setting type compounds. You need to go by one of the drywall supply houses & ask for a Gypsum handbook lot of info in it for your use.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes personally I use moisture resistant drywall, paper tape, metal/paper corner bead and regular setting drywall mud. Good quality primer and paint is also a must.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Yup, M.R. drywall, absolutely. Used to be "green board", which has apparently giving way to purple board. I don't know what the difference between the two are, but I'm not impressed with purple board, the paper tears and shreds WAY too easily for my tastes. Damage to the surface paper = more work to patch/float/repair during the finishing process. I just used it in a bare stud bathroom remodel and had multiple issues with the surface paper tearing or scuffing off when working with it. The green board never did this.