Basement shower walls

Ask your bathroom related questions here
sycamorefarm

Basement shower walls

Post by sycamorefarm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 pm

The original homeowner of our house, put up some sort of plastic or fiberglass panels for the shower. The corners are caulked well. The pan is tiled and has one of those commercial rubber wall trims at the bottom. Kind of weird. The worst part is that they used this with hard water for years, so it needs to be updated. Because it's so custom, I'm not sure what the best approach would be to updating. Also it's built beneath the stairs, so the ceiling area is sloped. Is there something I can use to cover up the existing product? I know I can tiled over the tile floor. Looking for ideas. I even wondered if there is a paint type product that would work as a temporary fix until we have more time/money to do it right. Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Basement shower walls

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:06 pm

got pics?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

sycamorefarm

Post by sycamorefarm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Looking at this in more detail, I think I will just have to tear it out to the framing. Right now I see drywall covered with some sort of paneling that is was on the rest of the bathroom walls. Then they put some sort of thin fiberboard with a waterproof surface. Very strange. Not sure if I should do cement board, which requires me to tile the whole thing or find some custom shower panels. Ugh.
Attachments
IMG_5299.jpg
Shower view
IMG_5299.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 305 times
IMG_5297.jpg
Layers of shower wall
IMG_5297.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 305 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:29 pm

sycamorefarm wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 pm
they put some sort of thin fiberboard with a waterproof surface.
Years ago you used to be able to get a vinyl faced Masonite for shower surrounds. A similar product is still available today, but it's more of a Formica like product. Cheap solution to irregular size/shape showers, probably around $500-ish to replace it with this type of material. There are two names for it that escape me at the moment. I think Pyonite is one of them.

I don't know if a standard fiberglass surround is available to fit what you have, you'd have to measure the shower and do some research on that.

Tile or a cultured panel surround will be more expensive but result in a much nicer finished product.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 pm

FRP panels would be another cheap, short-term alternative.

sycamorefarm

Post by sycamorefarm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:46 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, A. Spruce.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:49 pm

You're welcome

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am

Around here Barker board , Barker Tile , DPI tile or Aqua Tile ,are names of those hardboard wall panels that can be used in showers. They look decent and will usually last around 5-8 yrs before they are starting to look rough on a shower used every day.They are a ok quick fix for short term . Here they are about $70 dollars for a 4x8 sheet. so they are pretty cheap.
You could likely do a simple subway tile shower and base over diamond backer for around $600?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon