Bath tub installation

Ask your bathroom related questions here
jgrant02

Bath tub installation

Post by jgrant02 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

I removed an old bathtub and I am installing a new one (Standard alcove bathtub). The prior installation consisted of ceramic tile being put on the wall first and then the bathtub was installed. My plan is to construct a stud wall frame in the area, complete the plumbing work, add 1/2 inch durock cement board, and then add tile. Do I need to remove the existing ceramic tile? Should I build my stud wall frame right on top of the ceramic tile? If I have to remove the ceramic tile, is there any way to remove it without damaging it so that I can reuse it?

Thanks
Attachments
Prior to removing bathtub
Prior to removing bathtub
SJQA7052.JPG (118.02 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Picture of spot where bathtub will sit
Picture of spot where bathtub will sit
IMG_0157.JPG (98.37 KiB) Viewed 194 times

A. Spruce

Re: Bath tub installation

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:07 pm

That looks like a rough bathroom, to say the least. I am an advocate for demolition to bare studs, thus removing any and all imperfections in the existing environment, being able to upgrade everything within the walls, plumbing, electrical, lighting, insulation if necessary, take care of any dry rot damage that you may not be aware of, but is likely hidden under what appears to be less than stellar craftsmanship.

From there, if you need to fur out the walls, it will be much easier to do and you're not going to lose valuable square footage in the process.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jgrant02

Post by jgrant02 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:07 am

leaving the old products in place and covering them is not the best idea IMO. I agree with Spruce I would strip the walls and start over. Removing and reusing the tiles will be impossible if they are installed correctly .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jgrant02

Post by jgrant02 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks so much!!!!!

jgrant02

Post by jgrant02 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 pm

I removed old bathtub wall materials (drywall and ceramic tile). I will fix the subfloor related to water damage. My dilemma is that my alcove space is approximately 70 inches instead of the standard 60 x32 to fit a standard bathtub. Should I build a three-sided stud framed wall on top of the existing stud frame wall? (This will put it at 62 x32). I am trying to avoid purchasing a larger bathtub or a drop in tub. Also, is there any other finishing products (besides tile) that can be used with cement backer board. Please advise...

Thanks so much!!
Attachments
Bathtub alcove
Bathtub alcove
IMG_0195.JPG (177.17 KiB) Viewed 130 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 pm

I would frame one of the end walls in to the new tub dimension. As for what can be put over cement backer, you're working from bare studs, why backer instead of drywall, but before you decide anything, you need to decide what kind of surround you want, if tile, then use cement backer, if anything else besides tile, moisture resistant drywall will suffice.

My personal favorite surround type is cultured (man-made) stone/marble, If I can't have that, then tile would be my choice.

I highly recommend looking into Kerdi membrane. I recently used it for the first time in a major bath remodel and it was awesome to use and I am not worried about leaks behind the finished surface.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jgrant02

Post by jgrant02 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks!!!!