Best way to repair underfloor (tile) bathroom plumbing?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Ftgabr

Best way to repair underfloor (tile) bathroom plumbing?

Post by Ftgabr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 am

I came downstairs this morning to find a puddle on the kitchen floor. Once I’d woken up enough to investigate, I decided it’s from the bathroom sink drainpipe. This is based solely on its position compared to the place where the water came through the ceiling.

The bathroom floor is tiled in all exposed areas, so checking under the floorboards won’t be easy. Add to that, I think the tiles were fitted on ply, which was laid on top of the existing floorboards.
The sides of the bath are also tiled, so I can’t just remove the bath panel to try and look underneath either.

Before I start contacting plumbers and listening the sharp intake of breath, does anyone have experience or advice on the subject, in particular the best, or most likely route to fixing it?
I have heard suggestions that it can be easier to access the plumbing by making a hole in the ceiling below, rather than lifting tiles. (Artex ceiling, so probably not that easy to patch & match either)

Another thought, due to my inexperience, Is this likely to be something I can claim for through my insurance? I have combined building/contents, and the premium even after claiming, is likely to be less that the cost of repairs.
The bathroom was only fitted about 12 months ago, so I will be contacting the fitter, but I’ve no idea if this would be covered under any warranty.

Shannon

Re: Best way to repair underfloor (tile) bathroom plumbing?

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:36 am

has the leak stopped now that you have stopped using that bathroom? If so then it could be a drain like you suspect ,if it has continued to leak then it would be a water supply line and you should shut off supply lines if they have valves for the pipes supplying the bathroom fixtures.

I would contact the original contractor as I would suspect you should have some warranty . If that falls through then I would investigate further to try and pin point the leak to which fixture it would be? Check all exposed drain and supply lines you can for signs of leaks . Try and retrace your usage the evening before and that morning to help determine what fixture could be the problem. It should take a fair bit or water to actually soak through the ceiling and create a puddle on the floor.
It may be worth starting a claim through insurance if the damage is enough from the leak and also the damage to access it. Accessing the room is likely best from the ceiling below from the sounds of it . In most cases the insurance should be started before you rip into it and take pictures as you go either way.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:00 am

As for best way to access the problem area, through the ceiling will likely be the easiest and cheapest, though I am not familiar with what Artex is.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:09 pm

I assumed Artex is a brand of mud used for texture ceiling applications but I could be wrong??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:37 pm

It's probably this stuff:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artex

While it will be hard to get an exact match, a good tradesman should be able to approximate it, or simply float out the entire ceiling for a flat finish or retex to whatever you like.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.