New GoBoard shower system

Ask your bathroom related questions here
KevP

New GoBoard shower system

Post by KevP » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:00 pm

hey guys,
I just realized that GoBoard has released a shower system which looks pretty neat and super simple. It is the same stuff they used for their boards but now they have their own drain and shower tray system. Not sure on the price but it should be cheaper than Kerdi.

here is the website:
https://www.jm.com/en/building-insulati ... ardshower/

and here is the installation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO-87XvvjWM

Only things I would like to know more is the thickness of the wedge board. It looks thin and im wondering if that would be an issue. The other thing is the use of sealant alone. I know we all overthink showers. The chance of water getting under the tile and grout is very minimal. I mean moisture can get to it but technically no water should be getting behind the tile surface. I dont think the sealant would be an issue for 20 or 30 years at least since it is not under constant water and weather exposure.
Any thoughts?

It is nice to only cut and put in place and caulk, rather than dealing with the kerdi membrane. I know Kerdi has boards but they are too expensive.

Shannon

Re: New GoBoard shower system

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Im not sure i'm a fan of that product as a shower pan. Its a fair bit of work to cut and fit it and a lot of waste, and only caulking as the seal ? Not sure i trust that.On the walls I think it would be fine but not on the pan . I really like acrylic pans.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

KevP

Post by KevP » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks. What do you think about kerdi pans? Or do you still prefer old school mud pans if a tiled floor is desired

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 am

I have used Kerdi pans but again they worry me a bit with all the joints and I also find that the corners get kinda out of shape because of all the over laps of Kerdi band and Kerdi corners. I personally think it is a better system then caulking alone . I think if I was using the GoBoard pans I would caulk like they say and also use red guard on the pan and up the wall 6" also
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon