Existing faucet to single faucet

Ask your bathroom related questions here
ducebigalow

Existing faucet to single faucet

Post by ducebigalow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,
Currently I have a tub with a tile surround. The existing faucet has a hot and cold tap, and a spout that is basically one unit. Every 4-6 months I have to replace the cartridge inside one of these taps because the seals get wore out and it starts dripping. Bit of a pain in the butt.

I eventually want to replace the entire tub and surround at some point but not right now. However, I was thinking I could change the existing faucet to a single handle faucet for now. Getting access to the plumbing behind the wall should be an issue as the adjacent wall is in my closet. I know I would have to carefully cut a new hole in the existing tile for the new handle. I don't know how hard this will be.

I was thinking of even leaving the existing faucet as is because I don't want to get into replacing any tiles, etc., but I would just disconnect the pipes and run it up for the new single handle system.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

A. Spruce

Re: Existing faucet to single faucet

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:37 pm

I would save my money to put towards the eventual remodel of the shower, rather than trying to change a valve now. Switching from two handle to a single handle leaves the problem of holes in the wall. You will have to remove a good portion of the existing valve to fit a new one in there, assuming there isn't framing or other nonsense in the way.

If you want to change the valve, I'd recommend sticking with a two handle valve that will fit into the same locations as the existing valve. Though, as I said, I'd save my money and put it towards the remodel. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:12 am

There are remodel covers made for this type of situation. They cover the old 3 hole area and provide a large single centre hole for a new valve. Thats what I would do if you want to fix this. You can still use the new single valve in the big reno when you do that.
https://www.amazon.ca/Moen-Remodeling-C ... =8-1-fkmr1
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

ducebigalow

Post by ducebigalow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Thanks
I assume that I would have to cut the hot/cold to the existing and run new pipe up to the new single handle.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Yes the pipes themselves will not line up from old to new.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon