Tile Removal - drywall fixable?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Dottie

Tile Removal - drywall fixable?

Post by Dottie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:20 pm

I'm doing a bathroom reno. First one. Im thinking I might be going overboard on my fixes. I've removed the old tile around my drop-in tub. My thoughts are that the drywall needs to be replaced from removing the old tile. Patching would be a lot less work then replacement. I've attached pictures of the drywall. The new tiles are 12x24. Not sure of that matters but the final product will be larger then the damaged sections. Thanks for any help!! I feel a little out of my depth. Most of the how to stuff neglects to cover the little things I have questions on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Re: Tile Removal - drywall fixable?

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:19 pm

If you are covering this up with larger tiles you can try removing all the loose paper and mudding over it to smooth the surface and then prime. You will likely end up with some bubbled areas still which is fine if they are small the new tiles will hold good enough. If it concerns you though you could cut the drywall off and replace small strips that are just taller then the damage, The new tiles will completely cover it anyways so you would not even need to mud and tape the joint.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:41 am

Actually, the better way to go would be to prime the drywall first with Original Kilz, which is an oil based primer. This will stabilize and seal the peeled paper without raising it, which will prevent bubbles when you float it out. If you use a water based primer or just float it with drywall mud, the water in those products will cause the paper to swell and bubbles will occur.

Once floated, you can then set your tiles as normal.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Hey ,yes that is a good idea, I have never thought of that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:24 pm

That's why you keep me around here, for all them good ideas I have! ;) :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Apparently so!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:06 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:24 pm
That's why you keep me around here, for all them good ideas I have! ;) :mrgreen:
You are a finishing expert, I will submit.