Corner Shower Door Fix?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
janetf287

Corner Shower Door Fix?

Post by janetf287 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Hello Everyone

I am a tenant in an apartment unit that has a corner shower installed. I am a larger person, so I'm finding that whenever I take a shower, the door (which has magnetic striping to hold the door closed), pops open while I take a shower (often when I hit the door with my arm/body, etc.). There does not appear to be any damage to the magnetic door stripping (works relatively well).

Is there any device or method I could use to "lock" or keep the door closed so that the door doesn't open accidentally why using the shower? If there's a method that does not include making capital changes to the property, or drilling holes, etc, would be even better (as I do not own the property).

Thanks for your advice.

Janet

Shannon

Re: Corner Shower Door Fix?

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pm

These magnets are pretty weak and it does not take much to pop the doors open. Could you place something on the top corner of the door that would also catch the edge of the jamb where the magnet is? Possibly even hanging your towel over the top in that corner may be enough?
I don’t know if any kind of replacement magnet you could use.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:25 pm

You might be able to find a stronger magnetic catch. See if there are any shower door suppliers or glass companies that also do shower enclosures in your area and ask them what is available for shower door catches. You might be able to upgrade what you've got relatively easily and inexpensively.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

janetf287

Post by janetf287 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi. Thank you for your suggestions. I have no idea how to install or buy a shower catch (I'm not super handy). Can you provide a link that might show me how this would be installed?

The shower, btw, is not square, but has 3 panels that are not perpendicular.

- Janet

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 pm

If you went with something like this, you can adjust the intensity of the catch by how close to the catch point you mount it (slide mount allows for easy adjustment).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line- ... /100123811

Instruction on how to install such a thing:
https://images.homedepot-static.com/cat ... f6addb.pdf

You can likely add a second or third magnetic catch easily enough too.

janetf287

Post by janetf287 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm not sure how to do this without screwing something into a metal door... I don't own the unit, so I'm not sure I can do this. To be honest, I'm not sure how this even works by looking at the diagram...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 am

Talk to your landlord, tell them the problem, have them replace or upgrade the shower door catch.