New bathroom in unfinished basement-from framing to finishing

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Dave_Rees

New bathroom in unfinished basement-from framing to finishing

Post by Dave_Rees » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Greetings,

I'll likely have a few questions along the way to completing the new bathroom in the basement so, I'll probably put them all in this thread.

I already asked one question about the ductwork that has forced me to accept a lower ceiling height than I'd hoped but, ah well, it is what it is.

At this point, I've got the framing done and also installed the framework for the ceiling. I'm using the Armstrong stuff that is similar to what's used for a drop ceiling except it's designed to suspend drywall. Interesting stuff and if the span is less than 8' it'll support 5/8 drywall from the perimeter. At least that's what they claim. We'll see ;)

While waiting on electrician's quotes etc, I thought I'd get the shower base installed along with the rough in of the plumbing. Long story short, I had to break the slab, dig a trench then back fill and new concrete. No biggie, really just work. Now, my questions. How long should I wait before installing the base over this new concrete? I should note, that the base is reinforced therefore no need for a mortar bed.

Also, given that this new concrete is "green" how long should I wait before applying any thinset on top of it? I'm planning on using the Ditra XL as the uncoupling membrane with the tile on top of that.

Some pics of the new concrete and where the project is at, at the moment.

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
trench.jpg
trench.jpg (201.11 KiB) Viewed 145 times
new concrete.jpg
new concrete.jpg (166.73 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Dec 21-2.jpg
Dec 21-2.jpg (198.14 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Dec 21-1.jpg
Dec 21-1.jpg (202.65 KiB) Viewed 145 times
beginning.jpg
beginning.jpg (205.54 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Shannon

Re: New bathroom in unfinished basement-from framing to finishing

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:30 pm

As far as setting the base I would not get too concerned with doing it with in a couple days of pouring the concrete. As for the thinnest the product will tell you on the bag but generally 28 days is recommended.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Dave_Rees

Post by Dave_Rees » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am

Sorry for the late "thanks" for the reply.

Thanks!

As expected, I've got another question. This time about the exhaust fan and associated venting. Clearly, I'm going to have to get the exhaust outside which will require a hole drilled through either the foundation (above grade) or through the bricks on top of the foundation. There appear to be some regulations about the location of said holes. ie: 2 feet above ground and no closer than 3' from an entrance to the house. My wife and I are digging through the Quebec regs and nothing seems definitive. So, what's your take on locating these exhaust vents and holes through foundations or walls?

In our case, the most direct and easiest location for this hole would be 2' above the ground but it would only be about 2 feet from the garage door. Not sure if the garage door qualifies as a direct entrance into the house. **shrug**

There are other possibilities but, those would require a much longer ducting run and also some challenges with existing ducts etc. So, we'd really like to go with the closest option but, also don't want to cause ourselves issues down the road if we decide to sell.

Thanks
Dave

ps: hope you had a good holiday season!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:48 am

Hi Dave, Usually the reference to being 1M from a window or door is for exhaust fumes from things like natural gas appliance vents (furnaces, fireplaces) So I think your location should be fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Dave_Rees

Post by Dave_Rees » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Wow, that was quick!

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info. I think we'll go ahead with our preferred location.

Now, to rent the core drill n bit. Sounds like a Monday job!

Cheers,
Dave