Rust-Oleum 7860519 Tub and Tile Refinishing (Nightmare)

Ask your bathroom related questions here
lupeachy63

Rust-Oleum 7860519 Tub and Tile Refinishing (Nightmare)

Post by lupeachy63 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:40 am

So we are on a budget and my husband thought he could do the bathtub. It's worst than ever. I don't know what he did, but it left real bad bumps all over the place and now it's a hair catcher (yuck). I rather go take a shower at a truck stop. Now he won't fix it. So now it's up to me to show him that I can do this. Any advise out there? Really, this is bad....I just want to cry.

A. Spruce

Re: Rust-Oleum 7860519 Tub and Tile Refinishing (Nightmare)

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 am

Bathtub refinishing is not a DIY project, it simply is not. As for fixing the aftermath of a DIY attempt, I'm guessing that the applied material will have to be sanded off to remove it, then call in a pro to spray in the new finish.

The only part of a tub refinish that is DIY friendly, is removal of the old caulk and a thorough cleaning of the tub so that it is ready for the refinisher to spray. My experience is that refinishers don't take the time necessary to remove old caulk as well as it should be.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:26 pm

I agree with Spruce, but if the tub is that far gone you may not have much to loose ? I think unfortunately you may find that trying to sand that bumpy surface down will not work out ? What are the bumps?are they actual lumpy finish or debris in the finish?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 am

I just had my upstairs tub refinished about two months ago by a pro. YES, they removed all the old caulk, and YES, they reapplied new caulk after the tub was completed.

The professional tub refinisher could probably strip the tub of the botched DIY attempt, I know they can prep the tub for a refinish after a previous refinish has already been done initially (they would charge like an extra $150 to do that).

Otherwise the tub refinish cost me $450 to do. The factory steel tub was really scuffed and chipped. I was originally gong to tear it out and put in a shower stall, but I decided for the rental unit the tub was good enough.

After it's been refinished, it can be used after 24 hours and it cures in about a month. They said for cleaning, only to use nonabrasive cleaning chemicals (dish soap was recommended) and soft sponges or rags. No scouring.