Preparing a bathroom wall for painting

Ask your bathroom related questions here
broach1804

Preparing a bathroom wall for painting

Post by broach1804 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi, I just pulled the wallpaper off the bathroom walls of my 1947 1 story ranch home. The walls have some adhesive stuck on them which will sand off easily from the looks of it. There appears to be some very stylish green paint on the walls underneath of the wallpaper. In some spots it's flaking. To prepare the wall for painting do I just scrape as much of the old paint as possible and then sand it all down?

The adhesive won't be a problem as it removes quite easily, but the green paint worries me a bit. The wall underneath of the green paint is very smooth plaster. Nearly unbelievably smooth. My thought is to scrape as much of the paint as possible, sand the adhesive and rough spots smooth, primer with killz, and then paint with a bathroom rated mold resistant paint. Any advice from the DIY pros is greatly appreciated. I snapped some pictures to show what I'm working on.
Attachments
20191229_193718.jpg
20191229_193718.jpg (133.88 KiB) Viewed 215 times

broach1804

Re: Preparing a bathroom wall for painting

Post by broach1804 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:51 pm

20191229_193738 (1).jpg
20191229_193738 (1).jpg (118.01 KiB) Viewed 214 times
Attachments
20191229_193709.jpg
20191229_193709.jpg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 212 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Please describe what you've got going on, the pix are not clearly defining the problem.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:22 am

I think you have a pretty solid plan... I wouldn't go too nuts trying to get every flake of green paint removed. It's very likely lead paint, so you should block off the room from the rest of the house with poly sheeting, have adequate ventilation, and wear a respirator. It's harmful to breathe lead dust. Have a filled water spray bottle at the ready when you're done chipping so that you can spray all the dust down.

You could skim coat the walls with a lightweight joint compound, called topping compound in some areas.

There's a Zinsser sealer called Gardz that is made for previously-wallpapered walls that have a film of adhesive. While I don't have personal experience with it, I've had very good success with a lot of Zinsser base coat products.

Definitely a mold-resistant paint as a topcoat is smart to use in a bathroom. Also it's important there's a fan in the bathroom that can be used for ventilation during showers and baths.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:44 am

DO NOT SAND!!!!!!!!!! It is highly likely that your 1947 bathroom has lead paint, and you do not want to be atomizing it with sandpaper and breathing or spreading the dust around the house!

Wearing a good quality dust mask, scrape whatever loose paint you can get off. If the wallpaper glue is the traditional stuff, wiping the walls down with a wet rag will remove the glue. If the glue is not water soluble, then leave it and float over it and the peeled paint with drywall topping compound. Apply the topping compound as smoothly as possible to avoid having to sand it later, while the compound is perfectly safe to sand, you still do not want to disturb the paint beneath it, so keep finish sanding to a minimum and be extremely careful you do not get down into the paint.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:18 pm

I am not a fan of using a Joint Compound over an existing Plaster substrate as moisture will cause delamination over time. You should be using a Veneer plaster over Plaster.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Clarence wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:18 pm
I am not a fan of using a Joint Compound over an existing Plaster substrate as moisture will cause delamination over time. You should be using a Veneer plaster over Plaster.
Is that something that can be found at a big box or is it a specialty supplier kind of thing?

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Veneer Plaster can be found at most drywall supply warehouses.
Veneer plaster would not be a stock item in the big box stores.
Depending on DIYer location it maybe a special order.

DReed87

Post by DReed87 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:42 am

I second the advice about making sure that the bathroom has a ventillation fan. This will help to ensure that you have to go through the re-painting process as seldom as possible. Another important point is to clean off any mold that does start to form on a regular basis before it gets a chance to really set in.