How do I fix this?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
iknowaguy

How do I fix this?

Post by iknowaguy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:59 pm

I am in the middle of a basement bathroom remodel. I just realized that the tub I ordered and installed is 36" wide but the tub wall kit https://maax.com/en/product/utile-tub-w ... 24-307-508 is only 30" wide. :(

I was hoping to fill in the 6" space with accent tiles but was not sure how to properly seal where the tile, tub, and tub walls will meet. The installation of the walls call for a bead of silicone around the top deck of the tub then set the wall down on top of that, but I still have this 6" of deck exposed. I was thinking of stopping the cement backer board up to the tiling flange of the tub, then extend the small bit of tile down to the tub and caulk the tub to the tile. Should I be worried about any water getting behind there?
Attachments
IMG_4226.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 116 times
IMG_4229.jpg
IMG_4229.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 116 times
IMG_4235.jpg
IMG_4235.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Shannon

Re: How do I fix this?

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:17 pm

I assume that exchanging for the right sized panels is not an option?

Your thought for the hardie backer and tile is correct. Stop the backer just short of making contact with the acrylic edges of the wall panel and tub. I would use a silicone based caulking to seal the gap and then just fill the lip with mortar when you do that actual tiles. Another small bead of silicone to seal the tiles to the acrylic surfaces after the grout is cured and you will be set.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: How do I fix this?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 pm

The fix is, you send that one to me and order a new one. :wink: :mrgreen:

Shannon has you covered. :cool:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.