Is it possible to add a bathroom to 2nd floor?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Leftside

Is it possible to add a bathroom to 2nd floor?

Post by Leftside » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:07 pm

I am just wondering how much work is needed if you wanted to add a bathroom on the 2nd floor of a home (wood frame)? I know it would require plumbing, but does it require rebuilding the joists or whatever or can you simply add a tub or walk-in shower to the existing structure?

Also I know the walls would need concrete board or whatever, but what would the flooring require? This would be in USA. Also, the electrical would be fine so long as you use GFCI, right? And yes, I know codes are different everywhere, but I am just looking for some general info to see if it would make sense to try and talk to contractors or if this would be more work than expected.

Thanks in advance.

A. Spruce

Re: Is it possible to add a bathroom to 2nd floor?

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 am

Yes, you can add a bathroom upstairs without changing the structural components of the floor. If you place it above an existing bathroom, I believe you can tie into the vent stack.

If you are doing tile, you can use moisture resistant drywall, kerdi membrane, and tile right over the membrane. If you're doing cultured surround or stone, that can be glued directly to the drywall.

The floor prep will depend on what you're doing for a finished floor.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:28 am

Leftside wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:07 pm
This would be in USA. Also, the electrical would be fine so long as you use GFCI, right? And yes, I know codes are different everywhere, but I am just looking for some general info to see if it would make sense to try and talk to contractors or if this would be more work than expected.
At least one 15 amp GFCI circuit is required for all bathrooms, but it's recommended you provision this circuit per bathroom to handle high-load appliances like hair dryers or portable heaters. It's one of the few circuits left in new homes or renos that do not require AFCI protection.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:58 am

Yes I agree with everyone here. And keeping the new bathroom near the main stack of the house will make the plumbing much easier.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Wazowski

Post by Wazowski » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:05 am

I added an extra bathroom upstairs, right above the first one. It was about 3 years ago, still ok. Just a little plumbing and hand work :D