Moen Cartridge stuck/broken

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Oranments

Moen Cartridge stuck/broken

Post by Oranments » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 pm

I have terrible problem, please help.

The moen cartridge to the shower will not come out. The retainer clip is out. We used a puller tool but that ate into the plastic. The metal stem sprung freely from the plastic so couldn't use that to break the seal. After days of messing with it, the plastic ears, and now the metal stem have both broken off. So there isnt anything to grip onto anymore and I'm panicking. Next step seems to be replace the entire valve all together.

So.
This is a crazy idea but could I turn the water back on and let it force out the cartilage?

Any chance easyout and threading a bolt will work?
will

The easy out and threading method I saw on YouTube. However it's done when the center was pulled out without the plastic body. The problem I have is the core is stuck but the metal stem broke off. Can I drill through it and thread a smaller size bolt?? Please dear god. Help.

A. Spruce

Re: Moen Cartridge stuck/broken

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:27 pm

You can do just about anything you want, so long as you don't damage the valve body.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Wow I have had some really tough ones but never broke the valve stem off? Maybe contacting Moen through email could lead to a possible removal idea? Otherwise you may have to do a replacement which will suck if all you really needed was a new cartridge>
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 pm

I will be redoing a bathroom very soon with the same Moen stuck valve problem. I tried to replace a leaking cartridge a year or so ago, but there are other significant issues that require stripping the walls to bare stud, so I'll simply replace the valve to a better quality brand, Pfister and Delta are my go to brands, do not like Moen in any way, shape, or form.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 pm

You should call Moen Support at 1-800-289-6636 and explain your problem. They may have and easy solution for you, or a low-cost replacement part.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:38 pm

I actually spec. Moen unless the customer wants something different. Never have troubles with them other then the odd cartridge in older units are a bit difficult to remove.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 pm

Agreed. I have never had any issue with a properly installed Moen faucet.